V - The Body

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐭 day I ride my bike to school. After stopping by my locker I notice Nancy walking down the hallway a nervous look on her face.

"Hey, Nance," I say, coming up from behind her, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah..." She says hesitantly, "I just... I feel like everyone staring at me." She adds looking at the passing group of girls who seem to be whispering with pointed looks directed towards Nancy.

"Yeah, I see it too." I say, my gaze following the group of girls as we approach Nancy's locker.

"You don't think Steve told—" Nancy starts.

"Steve can be an asshole sometimes," I say, cutting her off, "But he wouldn't stoop that low."

Nancy nods, opening her locker.

"So you and Steve...?" I ask, glancing at the ground.

"Yeah." Nancy says with pink cheeks.

My heart breaks at the confirmation that her and Steve, did indeed, do something last night. My eyes brim with tears before I can stop it from happening.

"Um, I'll see you later Nance." I say quickly before rushing to the nearest bathroom.

On my way, I just so happen to stumble upon Steve. He notices my tear-filled eyes and grabs my arm to stop me from going any further.

"Hey, (Y/n), you okay?" He says softly and gently grabs my shoulders.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I snap and wipe my eyes, noticing I'm making a scene, "Just let me go, Steve."

His eyes go wide at my harsh tone. Steve then notices the people staring all around us and immediately drops his hands back to his sides. Before he can respond I brush past him into the girl's bathroom.

My fingers grip the sink's counter so hard it turns my knuckles white. With tears streaming down my face, I press my lips together in an effort to keep my sobs inaudible. Once I manage to compose myself, I splash water onto my face, take a deep breath, and head for my classroom, trying my hardest to remain unfazed.

|☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆|

At lunch, I claim my usual spot next to Steve. Tommy and Carol are across from us. Nancy didn't show up. Thankfully, Steve doesn't mention our encounter from earlier this morning.

"That's why science doesn't make any damn sense to me." Tommy says.

"No, I swear. Look at this." Carol says, proudly displaying her ankle on the lunch table, "It's totally frostbite."

"It's not frostbite, Carol." I mumble, noticing Nancy heading in our direction, a worried look on her face.

"Oh, thanks, man," Tommy says spooning applesauce into his mouth, "It's a heated pool."

"Well, if it's not frostbite, then what is it?" Carol asks.

"Ugh, I don't care what it is," Steve says, clearly grossed out, "It's disgusting!"

"Yeah, we're eating here, Carol," I say rolling my eyes, "So get it off the damn table."

Tommy tries to sneak a spoonful of Carol's applesauce, only for her to swat his wrist in response, "Ew."

"Hey, Tommy." Nancy speaks up, after sitting down on the other side of Steve. "When you left, did you see Barb?" She questions, leaning forward.

"What?" Tommy replies.

"Barbra." Nancy says, frustrated, "She's not here today."

"I seriously have no idea who you're talking about." Tommy says and chuckles at himself. Carol laughs too.