XLIII - New Beginnings

3 Months Later

𝐈𝐧 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 of mall closing, Robin, Steve, and I began the search for new employment opportunities. After the "incident" at the mall, our ice cream scooping and secret Russian code cracking were no longer an option. The three of us saw an opening at Family Video and ultimately decided that would be the best option.

From my passenger seat, I reach behind me and hand Robin our resumes while Steve pulls up to the video store.

"You put your mom down as a reference?" Robin asks Steve, when we're all getting out of the car.

"Yeah, why not?" Steve asks casually completely unbothered, "She's like, super well-respected."

"You're such a dingus." Robin comments, swinging on the near pole, throwing herself towards the building.

A fond giggle escapes my lips as we approach the door to Family Video. Steve kindly holds the door for Robin and I while we enter the store.

"Why, thank you," I smile to Steve as I walk past.

"Of course, m'lady," Steve does a little bow, gesturing forward with his hand before following Robin and I into the video store.

We approach the counter and are met with Keith, someone we went to high school with. He reads over our resumes and gives us a look.

"Uh, just to be clear we weren't fired, you know." Robin says leaning on the counter.

"Yeah, the mall burned down and, like, killed a bunch of people." I add standing in between Steve and Robin.

"Thanks for sharing." Keith says dryly, "Didn't know." He puts down the papers and points at Robin abruptly.

"Three favorite movies, go." He says.

Clearly this was our ticket in or out.

"Uhh... The Apartment, Hidden Fortress," Robin says instantly, "Children of Paradise."

"You, go." Keith points to me.

"Let's see, Grease, Footloose, and...," I say before thinking for a second, "Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark," I sigh dreamily, "Harrison Ford is so hot."

Steve shoots me a look of surprise before Keith turns his attention to him.

"You, go, now." Keith points at Steve.

"Favorite movies?" Steve says with nervous eyes, his voice slightly shaking with anxiety.

"Did I stutter?" Keith asks narrowing his eyebrows at the boy.

"Uhhh... Animal House, for sure" Steve says and Robin scoffs quietly.

"Oh, god." I whisper.

"Umm," Steve looks away from Keith.

Big mistake.

"Eyes on me, Harrington." Keith snaps his fingers a couple times and points to his eyes.

"Yeah, uh..." Steve struggles, "Star wars?" He shrugs.