VII - The Woods

𝐈 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 next to Nancy, my brother and his friends in front of us as we watch Will's funeral service. A solemn atmosphere surrounds us as we stand around the casket that holds Will's body.

"Just wait 'till we tell Will that Jennifer Hayes was crying at his funeral," Dustin snickers to his friends, pointing at the crying girl.

"Shut up, Dustin," I whisper kicking his foot lightly before turning my attention back to the man speaking.

"Ow!" Dustin whines, bringing his leg up to rub it, stumbling in the process.

"Shhhh." Mrs. Wheeler leans down to shush my brother.

I drop my white rose into the ground where Will's casket lies and embrace Jonathan to offer my support.

"Hey," I give the boy a gentle smile after pulling away from our hug.

"Hi, thanks for coming." He says softly before shoving his hands in his suit pockets.

"Of course." I say as I move over to Joyce and gently rub her shoulder lovingly, noticing she wouldn't appreciate a hug at the moment.

"Hey, Joyce." I say, "I'm always here if you need anything, okay?" She only offers a small nod in return.

Nancy slowly approaches Jonathan and I and we silently walk together, sitting by a near fence where headstones sit within.

|☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆|

This is where we know for sure it's been, right?" Jonathan says, showing Nancy and I a map of Hawkins.

"So that's..." I say pointing at the x on the paper in front of us.

"Steve's house." Jonathan confirms with a nod, "And that's the woods where they found Will's bike and... that's my house." Jonathan continues, pointing at the paper.

"It's all so close." Nancy comments and I shift nervously on the ground, looking towards the woods surrounding us.

"Yeah. Exactly." Jonathan says.

"I mean, that's gotta be all within a mile or something." I say, glancing back at the two.

"Whatever this thing is, it's not traveling far." Jonathan finishes with a determined expression as he glances at Nancy and I.

"You want to go out there." Nancy concludes looking back at Jonathan.

"We might not find anything." Jonathan replies with a sigh.

"We found something." I say gesturing between Nancy and I and Jonathan nods.

"And if we do see it..." Nancy adds, "Then what?"

"We kill it."

|☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆|

Jonathan leads Nancy and I over to a car, opens the passenger side door and starts picking the lock of the glove box.

"What are you doing?" I ask confused, crossing my arms nervously.

"Just give me a second..." Jonathan says as Nancy and I look around uncomfortably.

Jonathan successfully picks the lock, pulling out a gun, checking at the components and stuffing the extra bullets into his pockets.

"Are you serious?" Nancy asks, looking around again to make sure nobody can see us.

"What? You want to find this thing and take another picture?" Jonathan asks sarcastically, "Yell at it?" He gets out of the car, shutting the door behind him.