XXXI - The Air Ducts

𝐑𝐨𝐛𝐢𝐧, 𝐃𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧, Steve and I, are perched on the roof of a building, gazing down at the various truck drivers and warehouse workers, who attempt to transport supplies into the mall in the pouring rain.

"Look for Imperial Panda and Kaufman Shoes." Robin says, as Steve runs a hand through his drenched hair, and wipes the rain away from his eyes.

Dustin brings his binoculars to his eyes and scans the area, while the sound of a soft whistle echoes through the air. Suddenly, a man rounds the corner, wearing a bright yellow rain jacket, that's dripping with water. He's pushing a trolley filled with boxes, each of which has a panda labeled on the sides.

"They're with that whistling guy, ten o'clock." My brother shouts over the thunder and loud rainfall caused by the storm, as he points towards the man.

"What do you think's in there?" Steve asks, turning towards my brother, his eyes are squinting, trying to see through the rain.

"Guns, bombs?" I suggest with a shrug, tucking a piece of my wet hair behind my ear.

"Chemical weapons?" Robin adds, shaking her head slightly, her eyes locked on the scene in front of her.

"Whatever it is, they're armed to the teeth." Dustin says, causing the rest of us to turn our attention towards him.

"Great." Steve replies sarcastically with a nod, before wiping the water from his eyes once again, "That's great."

The four of us watch a another man inserts a keycard into a lock, it's red light turning into a bright green before the doors slowly open. The man in the yellow rain jacket wheels the trolley full of boxes into the building.

"Hey, what's in there?" Robin asks, the question directed towards my brother.

"It's just more boxes." Dustin responds.

"Let me check it out." Steve says, his eyes still locked on the building as he reaches over in attempt to grab the binoculars from Dustin.

"No, I'm still looking." My brother pulls the binoculars back, causing Steve to whine.

"Let me see." Steve begs, tugging the binoculars harder.

"Hang on!" Dustin shouts, before yanking the binoculars so hard that they crash against a near metal pole.

A loud clinking noise echos through the area, and the men below whip their heads in our direction.

"Duck!" I cry, grabbing Steve and Robin's hands and pulling them down with me.

The four of us slump against the concrete wall, taking deep and heavy breaths, expecting to be  discovered by the Russians at any moment. I feel Robin slip her hand out of mine, before Steve gives my other hand a light squeeze, causing me to turn towards him. I can see the worry and exhaustion in his expression, with water dropping down his face and his wet hair falling into his eyes. My gaze darts back towards the door we entered from, which is now left open, revealing an easy way to renter the mall.

I nod towards the door, causing Steve to alert Dustin of our plan, and me to alert Robin. We sneakily make our way towards the door, and stealthily slide through the opening. We then proceed to walk down the darkened, grey hallway, our soaked clothes clinging to our bodies tightly. Robin turns towards Steve and I, before speaking, panting between her words as she tries to catch her breath.

"Well, I think we found your Russians."

|☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆|

"That keycard opens the door, but unfortunately the Russian with this keycard also has a massive gun." Dustin explains, as he paces back and forth in front of Steve, Robin, and I, as we sit at the table in back of Scoops Ahoy.