XVI - Tension

𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠, is awkward to say the least. I wake up with Steve's arm draped around me, my shirt having ridden up in the night. His hand resting on my bare skin, a little higher than it should. His warm breaths fan over my face, and I relish the sight of him in such a peaceful state. I then, peel myself from his grasp and carefully crept out of the covers. As silently as possible I retrieve my heels and consume from last night and head downstairs to slip out the door, walking home.

As I walk home, I think about seeing Steve today at school. I hope to avoid him as much as possible, at least until I can stop thinking about last night. But deep down, I know I can't escape him forever.

I quietly, sneak into my house, hoping my family is still asleep. Successfully, I make it to my room, tossing my costume and heels on the floor.

"Where have you been?" I jump, startled by my brother's sudden voice. Dustin stands in the middle of my doorway with his hands on his hips, and eyebrows raised.

"I—"

"And what are you wearing?" Dustin questions, glancing at the baggy shirt and sweatpants that hang loosely around my form, "That's Steve's shirt." He concludes, eyes widening from a sudden thought.

"Dustin. I just stayed over." I say, sending him a warning look, "That's all."

"So you were at Steve's?" Dustin asks, trying to confirm his suspicions.

"Yes, but—"

"What are you two doing standing around?" My mom asks, suddenly coming up from behind Dustin, spotting the both of us talking, "It's time for school." She says nonchalantly before walking away.

Dustin sends me the, we'll finish this later, look before trudging back to his room, across the hall.

I sigh.

This is gonna be a long day.

|☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆|

Avoiding Steve is not gonna happen. He seems to be everywhere. Around every corner, in every classroom, by every locker.

In my first block, I could feel his eyes boring into the back of my head, making me shift in my seat constantly. As soon as the bell rang, I was out of there.

Even now, as I'm running laps around the gym, Steve's there, playing a stupid basketball game with the other members in our class.

I find myself staring at Steve, absolutely captivated by his sweaty grey shirt, watching his pretty hair flop about as he maneuvers the ball around the court. I try to look away, remembering that I'm trying to avoid him, but my gaze keeps wandering back towards him, my cheeks burning and my breaths heavy. But maybe that's just because I'm running.

Steve catches me looking and smiles a boyish grin before sending me a wink, clearly ignoring last night, as if he'd already forgotten what transpired between us. But I can't seem to let go, the memories flashed through my head throughout the day.

Do you know how much I want you?

My heart spends up, and I manage to offer Steve a weak smile, and he smirks before returning to the game, but he's blocked by Billy. I can't quite make out what they're saying, but Billy trips Steve, causing him to scramble back to his feet. It was no use though, Billy dribbles the ball across the court and scores before Steve has a chance to catch him.

Watching the scene unfold, I see Billy turn to Steve with smug expression, and Steve just stands there, sweat beading down his forehead, hands on his hips, and breathing heavily.