XXIII - Together Again

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝. After a few minutes of deliberation, we settle on the shed as the location for us to interrogate Will or the mind flayer, extracting information we need to put all this to an end. Joyce makes the recommendation, and Hopper takes it upon himself to go out and clean out the shed before the real work begins.

Nancy, Steve, and I head towards the shed, the three of us team up to make our preparations. As I grab the stapler, Steve assists me up the ladder, holding my hand until I get safely to the top. I notice Nancy watching us, as she rips tape from its roll, and the feeling of guilt begins to rise in my chest. Ignoring the feeling, I quickly begin to staple the tarp to the wall, as Steve holds it up, with the aim to make the shed unrecognizable.

"Hey." Nancy says to both Steve and I, making us glance at her, "What you guys did, um, helping the kids... That was... really cool." She sends us a small smile in which I reciprocate.

"Yeah." Steve replies, before turning his attention back towards the tarp coldly.

"Those little shits are real trouble," I add, trying to break the tension between my two friends.

"Believe me, I know." Nancy chuckles softly, ripping another piece of tap, "All those nights babysitting..."

"The good old days." I say sarcastically, causing us both to let out light laughs and I turn to see Steve with a smile on his face too.

Suddenly, Hopper, Joyce, Jonathan, and the kids open the door to the shed, armed with a variety of supplies, as we get ready to make the perfect hiding place. With me still on the ladder, I take whatever the kids pass to me, and place it on the walls, as we work together it make the shed as unrecognizable as possible.

"Alright, you ready?" Hopper whispers to Joyce after placing the unconscious Will in a chair and tying him up tight.

"Yeah." Joyce responds with a little nod, and Hopper glances back at us, silently telling us to leave.

Steve, Nancy, me, and the kids, except Mike, who stays back to be with his best friend, walk into the house together, and split to find our own separate places to be with our thoughts.

After a short while, I notice my little brother, standing in front of the window, watching anxiously out into the distance, presumably worrying about his friend. I approach him with a sense of concern, before placing my hand on his shoulder, and gently rubbing, as he turns to face me and unexpectedly embraces me in a tight hug. I stroke his unruly curls with love and tenderness, before he pulls away with a small sniffle, the emotions washing over him.

"Hey," I say, placing my hands on his shoulders, "Everything's gonna be fine."

"You really think so?" Dustin whispers, fidgeting with his hands.

"I know so." I smile gently at the boy before placing my lips onto his cheek.

Dustin lets out a groan, as he wipes his cheek in disgust and annoyance, but a smile still finds its way across his face. I let out a light chuckle, before my brother walks into the other room, taking another moment to himself.

I then walk back towards Steve, sending Nancy a smile on the way, and I find him whipping his spiked bat around, practicing his swings. Even in the tense and stressful situation, I can't help but admit that Steve actually looks kinda good while practicing with skill and confidence. Leaning against the wall, I admire his desire to protect those who he cares about.

"It's rude to stare, you know." Steve smirks slightly, lowering his bat as he glances over at me.

"Well, maybe if you weren't swinging around a dangerous weapon, I'd be able to focus on other things." I respond in turn, keeping the same teasing tone.