Chapter 24 ⁓ Her Maestro

The weather has grown cooler

The weather has grown cooler. It's poured almost every day the past week, and this morning's no different. The magic shop's window is speckled with raindrops. The asphalt and pavement outside have become perpetually slick.

It wouldn't be a problem; actually, it would be a welcome reprieve from the muggy weather that's been plaguing the last ditch of the season, even with the sky dark and gloom, holding the promise of thunder, but the wind is on the edge of being out of control, shaking the entry door with each gust. It's begun to teeter on the dangerous side.

That means hardly any customers. There have been a few brave souls that ventured through the store this morning, but the afternoon so far has been quiet.

Hannah shoves a heavy tome back into its place on the packed bookshelf. She's hidden herself away between the bookstacks. She blinks away a sneeze from the heavy dust that lingers in the air, wafting when she's begun upsetting spell books that presumably haven't been touched in months.

Beyond the high bookcases, she picks up the tail end of a muffled conversation.

The lights overhead flicker.

Hannah can hear a melody of laughter drifting from the front of the shop and knows Reid is probably pissing Kane off. She pays it no mind. After a week, it's quickly become a normal occurrence.

Hannah turns and leans heavily against the bookshelf. The warm necklace dangling against her clavicle shifts against her skin.

Across from her, Valrus stares at her, his stormy gaze distant, his head tilted, and a finger tugging at a curl above his ear. He's wearing all black, from his sweatshirt right down to his shoes; it's not a good sign. She's begun to associate such a fashion travesty with one of his bad moods.