Chapter 32 ⁓ Dark Muse

The screaming stopped

The screaming stopped. It'd become distant in the end. And there's a guiding trail of blood laying a dismal path through the narrow shelving.

With a heavy heart, Reid tracks the trail, and he's keenly aware that he's moving farther away from the others with every creaking step he takes. This is probably a trap. But Colby's in danger, and every second is precious.

Plus, Reid has Hannah's gun. He hadn't taken her only weapon purposefully; he ran without a second thought once he knew Hannah was safe. Well, safe, and acting a tad insane, but small victories. He wishes he had a chance to give a heads-up to Kenneth that Hannah's not herself; she called him a vampire in a strange, cold tone, but he can't detour. There's a faint sensation of a vampire near, and he deeply worries for Colby.

This area of the building is what he considers to be the true auction house. His mother would spend most of her days and nights here, cataloguing and slumped over the table, having fallen asleep when she pushed herself too hard. The very table that her killer had just stomped over.

Reid's grip on the gun shakes. He's never felt such rage as he did when he told Kenneth to shoot. He hadn't thought of the repercussions; the only thing he wanted was to see Azrael take his last agonizing breaths.

The smears of blood lead between narrow shelves that have unopened boxes taped and uncategorized, and Reid knows instantly where this carnage will lead. There's a side room with frosted glass doors where the larger objects of his mother's collection are kept. He supposes it's not his mother's anymore; Gabriel has employed someone else to keep the business afloat, but Reid thinks of it as hers anyway.