016

Chapter 16: Jake and Jake junior

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

JJ and Lo'ak spent the past minute arguing as they ran for their lives.

An avatar had managed to ambushed them earlier, catching them off guard when they tried to catch their breath from the relentless running. One of Quaritches soldiers had appeared behind the bush and seemingly also wounded, managed to point a gun on Lo'aks head. JJ, quick to react, threw the younger boy out of harm's way, but not without receiving another gunshot to his already wounded shoulder. JJ fought his way trying to find enough arm strength to kill him when he was busy reloading.

Now with three gunshot wounds, more blood was spilled than what he originally planned to lose, and the gun was already starting to seriously cramp his wounded and extremely bloody upper body. Lo'ak marveled at JJ's resilience, wondering how the boy hadn't fainted or dropped dead yet from how exhausted and drained he looked.

He tried to take the gun from him to alleviate his pain with a simple: "I'll take it, since you're wounded." However, the rogue merely gripped it tighter, taking the gun away from his reach before he even had the chance to finish his sentence.

Lo'ak got instantly defensive with the stranger's warning glare. His previous guilt completely disapittating away.

"What good are you trying to protect us if you're more focused on not passing out with my little sister in your arms than letting me help?!"

"I'm multitasking," JJ answers coldly without looking at him. His eyes still carefully calculating their surroundings. Tuk flinched whenever the man let out a grunt of pain every time he had to jump by dodging trees, branches, rocks, or any other obstacles in their way. "Besides, you're both shaking. If something happens and you have the gun, you'll get all three of us killed."

This time, Lo'ak managed to not argue back.

He definitely had been shaking the entire way up to this point as he had described. Which was weird hearing him pointing it out, as Lo'ak was sure the stranger hadn't looked at them once, as he watched the man move his eyes rapidly through the dark woods, looking for any signs of danger.

Lo'ak had been absolutely terrified about everything that had happened, and all he'd witnessed.

In the last three hours, he'd been kidnapped, found out that his father's mortal enemy was raised from the dead, had multiple guns pointed at his head, witnessed his siblings and best friend helplessly defeated cries, and then had to see bodies dropping dead next to him back and forth.

He wasn't sure whether Kiri and Spider made it out, nor if his parents were able to take care of Quaritch, but he hoped they all made it out safely. Both Tuk and Lo'ak still had their hands tied and they haven't had the time to try getting it off yet. Something told them that if it wasn't for this stranger, they would've all been dead by now.