020

Chapter 20: Part 2 - The Chimera Project

Chapter
 20: Part 2 - The Chimera Project

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The sterile grey room was unnervingly quiet. The only sound was Reyn's breathing, shallow and uneven. Her eyes darted around the room searching for exits, for safety, but all she found were bare walls and what seemed to be a one-way window.

Behind that window, Jake Sully, Kaya Rose, Max, and Norm observed her, their faces a mix of curiosity and amazement, but most especially of concern. The atmosphere in the observation room was tense as they watched Reyn's chest heave with rapid breaths. Her adaptability to breathe Pandora's toxic air was already nothing short of remarkable, but seeing how rapidly her body also seemed to adapt to Earth's atmosphere as well revealed another strength of hers that they hadn't originally expected.

The kind of strength that was remarkable beyond words in their world— but it was an uncanny to watch, and could be easily be considered extremely dangerous.

"Look at her lungs," Norm muttered, peering at the monitors. "She's adjusting so quickly. This isn't normal."

Kaya nodded, her eyes narrowing as she focused on Reyn's trembling form. "The Chimera Project... It must've been real," she whispered, her voice laced with disbelief. "But I thought it was just a rumor. What kind of experiments were they doing?"

Norm nodded, his eyes never leaving Reyn's frightened form. "It's impossible for someone from outside just to magically know about such a confidential project. I'm starting to believe that there's a possibility that she could've truly been a part of it... It makes me wonder what else could this mean? What else could she be?" He turned to Jake, who was deep in thought, his arms crossed over his chest.

Jake's expression was grim but determined. "Well, we're not getting any answers being stuck here. We need to understand what we're dealing with—"

"Jake, I'm not really sure it's a good idea to go in there just yet." Max interrupts worriedly. "She seems terrified enough as it is already. I think maybe we should wait until she's calmed down a bit." 

Jake shook his head. "I know that, but there's no time. We need answers, and she has them." He says seriously. "Quaritch is involved in this mess, and it can only mean bad news. I need to know what this project is, how she's connected to it, and if it can help us win this fight once and for all."

Max nodded, his brow furrowed with concern. "Well then, we need to be careful. If she freaks out more than she already is, we might not get anything from her."

Jake glanced at Norm, who shrugged. "She looks like she's seen a ghost. If you go in there, tread lightly."

Jake took a deep breath and slowly stepped inside the room, not wanting to startle her. Reyn flinched at the sound of the door closing with a taunting slam that reminded her of her horrifying childhood, her shoulders tensing immediately as she sensed another presence in the room, looking as if she was expecting a blow any moment now. Jake walked in carefully, his movements slow and deliberate, hands held up to show he meant no harm.