chapter xxv.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"She took my heart,filled it with nothing but pain

"She took my heart,
filled it with nothing but pain."
- Tony Lanez, The Color Violet
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Six days later, Athena stood in front of the massive arena where the hero permit exam would be administered. Hizashi stood confidently next to her, leaning against the car behind her while Athena watched people filter in through the front doors.

"You have to go in at some point." Hizashi teased.

Athena glanced back at him. Her suit was in her bag, waiting to be changed into, but to save time, she had braided her hair up and out of her face into a crown, leaving just her bangs to hang and frame her face. They were short enough to stay out of her eyes and therefore, didn't need special pinning to keep them up and out of her way.

"I'm just... taking in the competition." Athena lied lamely. In all honesty, she was terrified. If she didn't pass this test, she wasn't going to help with the raid. A lot was riding on this. The grading for this permit exam was harsher. The exam was strictly for people who weren't hero students but still wanted to enter the industry, through either personal means or outside sponsorship from another hero. Athena had the backing of two well-known heroes and Nezu, which was enough to make others nervous, but it didn't completely ease her own anxiety.

"You'll be fine." Hizashi pushed off the car to sling an easy arm over her shoulder.

Athena glanced up at him, peering at his face through his lashes. He gazed back at her through his glasses, giving her a wink. She snorted and shrugged his arm off.

"Alright." She squared her shoulders. "See you in a bit."

HIzashi gave her a blinding grin before saluting her. She turned her back on him and marched into the arena.

----

It was a simple concept. The first round was an all-out glorified version of flag football. Everyone received a single ball, large enough that it was inconvenient to carry. Either a contestant could maintain control of their ball, or they could opt to ditch it completely and steal the flags of their other opponents. If someone lost control of their ball, it didn't mean they were out completely. However, if they had their ball, they could lose all three of their flags before being kicked out, versus if they didn't have their ball, and were kicked out after losing one flag. A football was an automatic pass.

Each contestant received two light buttons that were pinned to the front and back of their suits. All the lights began as gold, but once they switched to red, the player was out. If the light went green, the player had passed.