chapter xiii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"I was dreamin' of bumping into you

"I was dreamin' of bumping into you."
- Arctic Monkeys, Why'd You only Call Me When You're High?
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

21 YEARS AGO, SOUTHSIDE OF ESUHA CITY.

Four-year-old Athena sat across from a young woman with bright blue hair. Her mother, who Athena was told she was a spitting image of, was limp on the couch, the cigarette precariously placed between her teeth seconds from falling out of the woman's mouth.

Her eyes bore into Athena's still, tiny frame.

Athena had gotten her quirk yesterday. She didn't really understand it, but the doctors had used a machine on her head and said it was very powerful. All Athena could do was make a ball of neon blue energy that crackled within her hold and exploded with light when she let it go.

Her mother had not moved in two days, and her father had gone someplace the night before.

The house reeked of alcohol and smoke, and Athena herself stunk. She was too small to reach the shower handle and her mother hadn't asked her to shower yet, so Athena wasn't going to try.

"Mommy," Athena murmured- whispered really. The woman's eyes must feel dry; she hasn't blinked in so long. Athena already lost the no-blinking contest, so she didn't understand why she was still trying.

"Mommy you win-"

There was a loud knock at the door.

Athena blinked once more, cursing herself as she loses again. She pushes to her knees, the bones jutting out awkwardly against her pale and dirtied skin. She hasn't eaten in so long, but the rumble of hunger had faded days ago.

She makes her way to the door and gently cracks it. Outside, are two tall men, each dressed in expensive suits. The one on the right, is huge, a towering wall of muscle. His neck is covered in strange black drawings that scare Athena. The one on the left, and closest to where Athena has peeked her head through is far smaller. He is lean, with long, shaggy grey hair that he's drawn back into a ponytail.

"Hello?" Her voice cracks.

The two men finally notice her, and the one closest, the grey-haired one drops to one knee. He's smoking, just like her mama. He takes notice of her cautious eyes on his cigarette, and he drops it from his lips, tossing it mindlessly behind him. His partner huffs and stomps out the flame.

"Hey, kiddo." He smiled, teeth a faded yellow. "I'm a friend of your dad's. He sent me to come and pick you up."

Athena blinked. "You know my daddy?"