chapter viii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"How many secrets can you keep?" - Arctic Monkeys, Do I Wanna Know└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

"How many secrets can you keep?" 
- Arctic Monkeys, Do I Wanna Know
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Hizashi slept like a baby.

Athena, once she found the strength to stand on her bandaged leg, hobbled over to his room every day, putting herself to work. She made his bed and braided his unruly long hair, untangling the pent up knots from captivity.

She hadn't been released yet, but she set up a miniature desk within Hizashi's room, opting to work in silence with her sleeping boss instead of inside her dreary hospital room.

Aizawa visited for a few hours a day, remaining silent as he sat by Hizashi's side.

He eyed Athena from the bedside, but Athena didn't let him bother her. With Hizashi out, she was functioning as the agency head, delegating hero and sidekick patrols and managing the staff while Hizashi rested.

Two days later, Aizawa arrived to Athena slumped over the side of Hizashi's bed. Her side pressed uncomfortable into the edge of the mattress, but she ignored the dull pain within her ribs. Her leg ached with pain, and she couldn't bring herself to move.

She'd been discharged the day before, but Athena couldn't bring herself to not visit Hizashi, spending the day watching over the sleeping hero fretfully.

"You need to rest." Aizawa grunted. "This isn't reasonable."

Athena ignored him, pressing her face stubbornly into the hospital bed.

Aizawa sighed before reaching for her.

"Come on, Kiritani." Athena let him tug her away from Yamada. Athena sagged in his hold, letting Aizawa slide an arm underneath hers.

"Let's get you home." Aizawa grimaced, helping her walk out. "I thought you were discharged yesterday, why are you still here?"

"It's my job." Athena mumbled, eyeing the door over their shoulder as Aizawa pulled her out of the hospital room.

"You need sleep." Aizawa reprimanded. "You won't recover properly, and then you definitely won't be able to do your job."

Lacking strength, Athena let the man drag her into the elevator. He helped her into the passenger seat of his car, where she slumped.

"Wait here." He ordered before disappearing back into the hotel.

Exhausted and in pain, Athena let her mind drift.

---

Once Shota had returned from gathering all of the woman's things from Hizashi's room, he found her passed out within the passenger seat of his car, breathing softly.

He huffed. She was obviously exhausted from overworking herself and refusing to take the time to recover.

He hit the gas, moving towards the address he had memorized weeks ago, when he had discovered Hizashi's new assistant. Of course, Aizawa trusted Hizashi's opinion (he was remarkably good at reading people), but after the last one, Aizawa was taking things into his own hands.