chapter xx.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"Made my decision to test my limits

"Made my decision to test my limits."
- Ariana Grande, Dangerous Woman
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Athena stared at the rat in front of her.

The smartest being in Japan sized her up, eye twitching with glee as he watched her strain to not shift underneath his gaze.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Ms. Kiritani." he bowed slightly at the waist, suit barely crinkling with the movement.

Athena bowed in turn, eyes never leaving the being in front of her. "The pleasure is all mine, sir."

"Nezu is fine." He waved, before motioning for Athena to join him. He moved to jump onto his seat at his desk. Athena glanced warily at Shota and Hizashi, the latter smiling slightly with amusement at her uncomfortableness.

"So," Nezu began. "Would anybody like some tea?"

Hizashi broke first, reaching for the warm drink with a grateful glance, nodding to his former teacher and current boss.

"You wanted to speak to me, Nezu?" Athena questioned cautiously, reaching for the cup of tea. She didn't normally drink the beverage, preferring coffee to the normal green tea that the majority of Japan served. To her surprise, the cup was full of Black Tea, brewed perfectly with her preferred amount of sugar. She raised a brow at the mammal in front of her.

His face remained perfectly blank.

"Tell me about your quirk, Ms. Kiritani." Nezu prompted her. "Any and all theories you have." Athena shot a cautious glance at Hizashi, who annoyingly slumped in his chair and tilted his head towards his boss as if his nonchalance reassured Athena in the slightest.

It did not.

Athena took a deep breath and launched into a deep explanation of her quirk; how it tore through reality, the sublayers beneath their own, her theories of multidimensional travel, and her inability to travel without oxygen.

Nezu listened to her quietly, nodding with his polite smile the entire time.

"I want to be involved in the take-down of the Devil's Ring." Athena breathed, eying the principal. Out of the corner of her eye, Hizashi and Shota exchanged glances, like they had seen this coming.

"I cannot endorse vigilantism." Nezu shook his head and Athena took a sharp breath of disappointment.

"Perhaps, you need a hero license."

Athena blinked. "Excuse me?"

"You'll have to begin with the provisional license first, of course." Nezu smiled, pressing his paws together over the desk. "It should be easy enough for you to earn."