chapter xviii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"It's hard for me to look into your eyes

"It's hard for me to look into your eyes."
- The Weeknd, Prisoner
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Athena was getting restless. Shota knew it, Hizashi knew it, but he didn't think it would have escalated so quickly. The plan to break into the yearly benefactor gala for the Devil's Ring was far more complicated than Shota wanted, and it certainly would have gone smoother if they had Nemuri to draw Jameson away from the crowds of people.

He was hoping that getting the mission over would keep Athena from getting reckless.

He was wrong about how patient she could be.

"I'm coming with you both!" Athena shoved past Shota into the kitchen.

"No you're not!" Shota shot back, following after the woman. "We are not authorizing a civilian to participate in battle.

"How are you going to get Jameson away from the crowd?" She growled. "I can assure you, no matter how pretty you are Shota, he doesn't swing that way!"

Shota blinked and Athena stepped forward into his space.

"Take me to the gala." She breathed lowly, voice hushed as she stared up at him through lashes. "I won't engage in battle. Just let me help."

He took a deep breath, staring down at her in silence.

"Shota, I can't keep hiding around here." Athena pleaded softly.

"Let her come." Hizashi's voice echoed from the doorway, shopping bags dangling in his arms. "Otherwise all the shopping I just did will be naught."

"Hizashi." Shota growled in exasperation. "She's a civilian."

"We both know she's capable of handling herself." Hizashi shrugged. "If she doesn't engage in any active battle, and she won't-" He shot a look at Athena who nodded in confirmation.

"Then she'd be a huge help in drawing Jameson away from the crowd." Hizashi finished.

"The gala is in a week." Shota argued. "We shouldn't change the plan so close to the date."

"No plan ever lasts on first contact." Hizashi shot back.

Shota and Hizashi stared each other down, once more leaving Athena to flounder in their silence and wordless conversations.

"Fine." Shota relented, eying his partner cautiously.

"Great!" Hizashi shut the entrance door behind him.

"Now," He turned to Athena before dropping all the shopping bags into her hands. She let out a squeak.

"These are for next week." Hizashi grinned. "No fun in missions if you don't get to play dress up."