chapter v.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"It's like you never had wings

"It's like you never had wings.                          
                                      Now you feel so alive."
- Deftones, Change
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Yamada didn't mention what happened in the elevator.

In fact, Athena didn't see Yamada for the next two weeks. She was in charge of detailing his schedule, sending updates, and making appointments but all of her contact with him was just emails to which he'd always respond with a bland thank you.

But moreover, Athena was charged with going through the faculty and vetting each of them thoroughly.

She didn't recognize any of them from the ring, but her memory of her time there was hazy. Meaning, Athena had to resort to old contacts.

"Please, Jin, I just need background checks on everyone within this company." Athena pleaded.

"That's a lot of people." Jin groaned. "You say it as if it's five or six, not four hundred employees."

Athena winced. "I know, I just need this done. I'll owe you."

"I already have like five IOUs from you." Jin deadpanned.

"It's not my fault you don't cash in," Athena whined. "Please? Pretty please?"

Jin sighed. "You're lucky I like you. Get me a full list of names and I'll run them through some contacts."

Athena sighed in relief. "Thanks, Jin. Will you be in town?"

"I can't answer that over the phone, Yoru."

Athena rolled her eyes. "It's a secure line. I know better than that."

"You literally work for a pro hero."

"I haven't been found yet." Athena retorted. "My methods work."

Jin sighed. "You're nothing if not stubborn. I won't be visiting any time soon. I'll tip you if I'm nearby."

Athena smiled. "Thanks. It was good to hear from you."

"You too."

With that, Athena hung up, resorting to sorting through the copious amounts of paperwork that Yamada had pawned off to her.

She slumped into her desk. She should have never told him she liked busy work. Athena was flooded now with useless forms and reports about fights from the sidekicks.

"I should ban mission reports." Athena glared at her desk when a knock at her door shook her out of her thoughts.

She flushed as she looked up, meeting the eyes of the hero from that night at the cafe.