chapter xix.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"Do you believe me are you close?"- Mac Miller, Woods└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

"Do you believe me are you close?"
- Mac Miller, Woods
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

The limo was freezing.

Athena tucked her hands underneath her arms, legs pressed tightly to one another in order to conserve some sort of warmth. The cold did nothing to stop the fast beating of her heart, the sound of the pounding thrum ringing in her ears.

These people, these monsters, who had watched her fight and struggle through an agonizing twelve years of life, would all be in one room, smiling at her and handing her flutes of champagne, like she supported what they were doing.

She wondered if any of them would recognize their former star puppet.

It made her stomach churn, threatening to heave the small lunch she had had earlier that day.

"You okay, Athena?" Hizashi murmured, leaning across the seats towards her.

She smiled tightly, tilting her head. "Just a little chilly; I'll be fine."

Shota overheard and frowned, scooting to press his side against hers without a word. When she glanced at him in confusion, he stared back at his phone, pointedly not acknowledging the small gesture. Still, she was grateful, taking the opportunity to press back into him, and inhale the woody scent of his cologne.

The three sat in muted silence for what felt like hours until the car finally rolled to a stop, and Hizashi pressed a communication earpiece into Athena's hands, which she quickly slid over her ear.

"Ready?" Hizashi grinned at Athena, and she couldn't help but think the butterflies in her stomach were something other than nerves.

She nodded back at him.

When the door opened, the blast of chilly wind sharpened Athena's senses, sending her into the familiar overdrive of a fight, though nothing had started.

The gala took place at a large casino, as it always did. Hizashi led Athena by the arm, Shota on her other side. They made their way inside and Athena took short relief in the warmth of the building, before being overwhelmed by the heat of the bodies milling around on the dance floor.

Hizashi led her by the arm, smiling politely at faces she did not recognize.

"What's the plan?" She whispered, avoiding eye contact as she snagged a champagne flute of the passing tray before downing it in one go.

"We dance." Hizashi grinned down at her before swiftly tugging her onto the dance floor. She let out a quiet squeak as his hand wrapped around her waist splayed across the small of her back, the other hand coming up gently to interlock with the other.