chapter x.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"I know, I'll fall in love with you

"I know, I'll fall in love with you."
- The Neighborhood, Cry Baby
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Athena's senses came back slowly.

Everything felt dull. Her fingers buzzed as her touch returned to her, the metallic taste on her tongue sending an uncomfortable pain through her mouth. She winced as she opened her eyes, bright white light flooding her senses.

Where was she? How did she get here? She was underneath a thin fabric, laying in what felt like a hospital bed.

"Easy."

Aizawa's low voice calmed the spike of panic that pressed through her chest. He was seated at the side of the bed, eyes watching her closely. He leaned forward tentatively, hand hesitating before reaching out to gently brush her bangs out of her eyes. His right arm was in a sling, but he looked fine otherwise.

Tired, like always.

Athena's chest burned. Her back itched with a vague dull pain and her left leg was on fire.

"You're in the hospital right now." He explained, his voice uncharacteristically soft. "You got caught up in an attack."

As the events rushed back to her, so did the pain. Her whole body was on fire, agony rippling underneath her skin. She whimpered, eyes sliding shut as she tried not to cry. This wasn't a villain attack, it was the ring.

Jin was dead.

Her only friend from her years on the run was gone. Now, Hizashi, the first person she had grown to begrudgingly care for in the past seven years, was in danger because she couldn't bring herself to get up and leave.

"You're going to be okay, 'Thena." Another voice spoke, and Athena instinctively leaned towards it.

"'Zashi?" She rasped, his name slurred on her lips. She felt the bed shift as Aizawa stood, moving away from her. The absence of Aizawa's warmth was quickly replaced by Hizashi. Hizashi's eyes softened as she met them, the green gentle and sympathetic.

She didn't need pity, yet Hizashi's merciful gaze made her want to cry.

"Take it slow, 'Thena." Hizashi grasped her hand gently, the rough pads of his thumb brushing over her palm. "Shota's getting a nurse, okay?"

Athena let out a pathetic noise, the pain hot and sharp along every inch of her body.

"I know," Hizashi murmured, running a soft hand across the side of her face. "I'm so sorry, 'Thena. I should have been there."

She leaned into his touch; she couldn't remember the last time someone held her with such tenderness.

Has anyone ever looked at her with this kind of... love?