chapter xvi.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"Do you mean what you say when you tell me you love me?"- SiR, Hair Down└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

"Do you mean what you say
when you tell me you love me?
"
- SiR, Hair Down
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Stepping back into the office felt surreal.

Her coworkers stopped moving, staring as she moved through the lobby towards the elevator. Silence fell over the first floor of the agency, and Athena nearly paused at the tension. Still, she held her head high. This was not the first time she was an anomaly, an outsider, and it would not be the last.

Hizashi bumped her hip with his, knocking her out of her thoughts with an easy touch.

"Are you okay?" He murmured, and Athena nodded, keeping her eyes trained on the elevator at the farside of the lobby, making a beeline for it. Hizashi followed after her, smiling and greeting employees as they went.

When the elevator doors finally closed on the hushed whispers of the sidekicks and accounting ladies that accompanied the lobby, Athena let out a breath.

"Easy." Hizashi placed a steadying hand on the small of her back, sending a warm thrill through her spine.

Athena gave him a grateful smile, glancing up at him through her bangs. "I'm alright. Thank you."

Hizashi's eyes searched hers, always piercing through her. Part of Athena wondered what he saw; he was always looking at her like he could peer straight into her soul. Perhaps he found something more beautiful than what Athena knew laid inside her.

He finally looked away, clearing his throat. "What's my first meeting of the day?"

And just like that, Athena was working again.

-----

Athena sagged back into her seat at the countertop, staring as Shota tapped his foot.

"Do you have any names you could give us?" Shota cocked his head at her, black hair sliding over his shoulders.

Hizashi stood behind Shota, cooking dinner, but still listening.

Athena wrinkled her nose. "Not many. When I was brought to the galas, most of the benefactors introduced themselves with codenames."

She closed her eyes, trying to remember faces and quirks. "There are two names I can give you. They were huge benefactors, if not the most important for the ring. Aiyana Himikawa and Jameson Totoru."

Shota blinked before typing the information into his phone.

"I'll look into it." Shota murmured, tucking his phone away into his back pocket.

"We've been thinking about including a couple other people into the investigation." Shota continued, leaning forward towards Athena.

Athena frowned. "Who?"