chapter xxii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"Malt liquor on your breath

"Malt liquor on your breath...
 I love you but I don't know why."
Lana Del Ray, You Can Be The Boss

└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Ever since she had handed Shota and Hizashi the twinning portal shards, Athena had gained a strange understanding of their location. Not an exact pinpoint, but she could feel when Shota entered a room with it, or when Hizashi began to get closer to the apartment, a small inclination in the back of her mind, a small tug in her gut when they moved closer to her. 

Shota took recovery a lot worse than Athena did. If she weren't in the apartment, Athena was sure that he'd try and escape to patrol at night. He was restless and irritable, holing himself up in his office without food. 

Though there were bright sides to his forced vacation.

For the first few days, Shota had sat slumped in a chair, attempting to change his bandages alone. She had originally planned to pester him about what he wanted for dinner and walked into his office, but the thought fled her mind at his sweat-sheen face, pain plastered across his features as he pulled the blood-soaked cloth away from his skin. 

Athena knelt before him, gently tugging the bloodied cloth out of his hands. He leaned back, head lolling to the side as Athena took over, swiping softly at the stain on his skin before carefully wrapping it.

Shota held remarkably still but hissed through his teeth each time Athena passed over the wound.

It became a routine; she'd make her way into his office and help him sit straight as she pulled the dirtied bandages away from his bruised and torn skin before carefully washing him clean.

Athena stayed quiet by his side through all of it, guilt ripping through her lungs like a shrapnel blast. It pierced her throat and lodged itself deep within her chest each time she looked at the recovering injury. The distant thrum from the dimensional shard tucked away in his pocket dulled it slightly, like a reminder that she could save him before it happened again.

"I'm fine." Shota finally spoke one night. His eyes drooped with exhaustion like the two words had sapped all his energy.

Athena didn't say anything, instead focusing intently on tightening the bandages around his torso. 

He let her cook food for him, a shift in their dynamic he wasn't exactly comfortable with. She still limped, her leg flaring with pain if she stood on it too long and the road burns that littered her side itching under her bandages. 

Whenever she winced in discomfort, he sent her a worried look. Unable to do anything, he let her dote on him, soothe her worry and guilt. 

Hizashi, now taking on the brunt of the caseload, had to spend less and less time in the apartment, leaving Athena and Shota alone. It wasn't until two weeks into their silent movement around one another did Athena realize how much easier it felt to be around Shota like his sharp edges had been sanded down to curve around her.