chapter xiv.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"I'm fucked up, I'm black and blue

"I'm fucked up, 
I'm black and blue."
- Kehlani, Gansta
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Hizashi blinked blearily at the bright light of the kitchen before checking the time on his phone.

It was late, nearly three a.m., and he had gotten up to use the bathroom, only to be stopped on his way back to his room by the sound of someone typing quickly in the kitchen. When he finally stepped into the room, to his surprise, Athena sat at the kitchen bar, her head stooped low as she squinted at her laptop screen.

"It is way too early for you to be doing work." His voice creaked as his vocal chords adjusted to being used again, and he coughed lowly to clear it.

Athena blinked up at him, leaning back in her chair. "Couldn't sleep."

Hizashi hummed, moving farther into the light. He shifted towards the stove, gathering ingredients to brew tea and put himself back to sleep.

Athena watched him warily.

Since she had spoken about her history, Athena had been more anxious than ever. She kept the windows drawn shut, she avoided sitting in the living room with the balcony, and she triple checked the locks every night before bed. Her burns were almost fully healed, and she no longer limped when she walked back and forth around the home. Her ability to move was only making her more anxious, and Hizashi had caught her doing calisthenics multiple times within the dark of her room.

However, her ribs were still healing, despite Athena not being a vocal person in her pain. Hizashi saw it in the stiff movements, the way she never bent at the waist, and her laughter came out it tiny quiet wheezes. Her movements were limited. 

She was driving herself crazy.

"Why are you up?" Hizashi murmured.

"Bad dream." Athena answered truthfully. "Nothing out of the ordinary."

He hummed in response as he set the tea kettle on the stove top. He slid into the seat across from Athena, before gently closing her laptop. She let him, tired eyes watching him softly as he pulled the machine away from her.

"What's wrong?" He asked quietly. Her hands tugged nervously at one another, fingers wringing tightly around on another until her fingers are bright red. Gently, Hizashi tugs her hands into his own, massaging her palms open and flat until she stopped, fingers going slack within his hold.

"It's nothing." Athena murmured. She flushed under his green gaze, cheeks burning at his proximity and easy touch. Still, her eyes fluttered nervously to the shadows of the hallway, like she expected a monster to pop out of the darkness.