chapter xvii.

┌──────── ∘°❉°∘ ────────┐"Can you break sometimes?"- Blood Orange, Charcoal Baby└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

"Can you break sometimes?"
- Blood Orange, Charcoal Baby
└──────── °∘❉∘° ────────┘

Athena scrunched her hair in the towel before laying it over her shoulders as she stepped into the kitchen. Shota and Hizashi were practically hissing at each other over a pile of evidence.

"What are you two fighting about?" She hummed, bumping Shota's hip lightly with her own and nudging her way in between the two.

"Targets." The two said in unison.

She wrinkled her nose. "Don't do that."

She slid into the chair next to Shota, peeking over at the files scattered in front of him. "This is the benefactor gala, right? For the ring?"

Hizashi nodded, sliding two files across the counter. She was met with two faces, a young woman with a piercing gaze, and a portly American man.

"These the two main contributors you gave us," Hizashi leaned forward, his elbows perched on the counter as his hands pressed together. "Aiyana Himikawa and Jameson Totoru."

Athena hummed as she skimmed through the pages. Psychological profiles, crimes they were suspected of, their children, nothing really stood out to her. Himikawa was a well known politician; made her name as a famous female senator. Jameson Totoru, who grew up in Japan, made his money in the States through pharmaceuticals.

"They've contributed nearly 13 trillion yen to quirk trafficking each." Hizashi grimaced. "From what we've tracked down. They launder a shit ton of their money offshore, so it's hard tracking down the exact amount."

Athena whistled. "That's a lot of money. Why?" 

Hizashi tugged the papers out of her hands, fingers brushing against her knuckles as he took them back to continue reading through.

"We don't know." Shota grumbled. "There's no motive, except for perhaps the entertainment of the rings, but they've never been sighted in one."

"We're missing something." Athena hummed. "They aren't the top of the chain. Why contribute all this money? Kidnap all these kids? What happens to the kids after they turn eighteen? After they're sold?"

"What happened to you?" HIzashi questioned, his green gaze piercing through her.

"I'm an exception." Athena murmured. "Aku, the leader of the ring, didn't- doesn't know the full extent of my quirk and I wasn't scared of him. Fear is the only thing he really has over the kids."

"How do they pick their marks?" Shota hummed. "Maybe that'll hint to what they need from the kids."

"Power." Athena answered instinctively.