Chapter 21: In the end

"How are you feeling?"

The number of times that Adeline had heard this was astonishing. It was understandable though, what are you supposed to say in that kind of situation? She didn't know but she hoped that it would differ from asking her how she felt.

"I'm fine." She simply told Jenna. She and Steve went to visit her after Mark's confession after Shield informed them that it might be a way to catch him. "How are you?" She added.

"I'm alright." She said not convincing anyone. They were sitting at the kitchen table, a feeling of dread shared between the two women.

Steve shifted in his seat, turning more towards to woman who raised his daughter. "I don't know how to say this-"

"Don't beat around the bush, please." Jenna pleaded and Steve nodded.

"Mark is the one behind the recent attacks around the city." He said and Jenna suddenly paled. "Under the orders of Hydra."

She ran a hand over her mouth, the gears turning in her head. The news were a shock but they still made sense to her. She thought that maybe he was cheating or that he would divorce her but this, this was definitely not what she was expecting.

"He just wanted everything to be the same again." She whispered and Adeline was quick to answer, her anger getting the best of her.

"That doesn't excuse his actions. He's a grown man, he was well aware of what he was doing. Of all the people he would hurt." She said and Jenna placed her hand on hers.

"I know, Adeline. I'm not defending him." She turned to Steve, who was watching their interaction, not really knowing what to do.

"You are the best thing that could've happened to her." She declared sincerely and with respect making Steve's heart swell in awe. Having Jenna's approval meant a lot to him. "I'm sorry for how I treated you when we first met."

Steve immediately shook his head, dismissing her guilt. "There's nothing to apologize for."

"Do you have any idea where he could be?" Adeline inquired. "Did he mention anything suspicious?"

Jenna shook her head for the nth time that day. "No. He hasn't been home for a long while now." She sighed, running a hand through her hair. "That's not who he truly is, I mean. He was always so kind..."

Adeline asked herself, do I hate him? Hate was a strong emotion that until now, she had never thought that she could feel towards someone else. In the end, it didn't even matter. Learning about herself brought her undeniable happiness, especially with Steve, someone incredible who loves her unconditionally. She didn't want him to feel guilty about what was happening.

"Jenna, you can always stay at the tower if you don't feel safe." Steve proposed but she refused so instead, they would place some surveillance around the house. So they left, going back to the tower. Once outside the house, Steve brought his daughter in a much-needed hug.

"I'm proud of you, baby." He said and kissed her forehead. "You're so strong."

"I love you, dad."

"I love you too."