Chapter 13 : I'm sorry

The night was darker than usual. The wind was blowing through the leaves and covering the sound of footsteps. Madison was in her room, sitting at her desk editing pictures that she took the day before. Royals by Lorde was playing softly in the background with Maddy humming the beat. Her parents went away for the night and would be back for lunch the next day.

While Madison was struggling to get the perfect filter for a photo, she heard a noise. At first she didn't do anything but when she heard it again and decided to face the danger. She took a baseball bat that was in her wardrobe and went downstairs. She went in the kitchen first because it was the closest room to the stairs, then in the dining room but she saw nothing. Madison turned to the left to go in the living room and saw someone sitting on her couch. She recognized him.

"Oh! Mr. Jones, you scared me." She let out a nervous laugh. "What are you doing here?" She asked.

He didn't answer, he just stared in front of him. Madison thought that he wasn't acting like himself. She remembered when she would sleep at Adeline's house and he would make them pancakes the next morning. He was always smiling but now he had bags under his eyes. Eyes that screamed terror.

Madison put her bat down and walked slowly towards the man who hadn't moved a muscle. "Are you okay?"

She was about to take the phone to call her mother but Mark got up with a syringe in his hands. He spun her around and plunged the needle in her neck until she saw nothing but darkness.

"I'm sorry"

╚»★«╝ • ╚»★«╝ ╚»★«╝ • ╚»★«╝

Adeline and Peter were in his room watching Star Wars for the hundredth time. Adeline wanted to watch Harry Potter but for the sake of her friend, she agreed to do another marathon. They had been sitting on his bed for more than 6 hours when Peter's aunt knocked on the door and came in.

"Hi guys" She said, then cleared her throat. "Adeline. Your dad is here."

Adeline frowned at the news. Her dad wouldn't have physically came unless something important had happened. She got up from the bed with Peter following her from afar. She turned the corner and walked towards Steve. He had is hands in his pockets and looked deep in thought.

"Would you like a coffee?" May asked him but he kindly denied.

"Dad, what's wrong?" Adeline asked with worry lacing her words. Steve sighed softly and put his hands on his hips. "I don't know how to say this Adi... Something happened to Madison."

Peter and May looked at each other with concern. They knew that the two girls were extremely close.

"What do you mean?" Adeline said and Steve hesitated but Adeline persisted.

"She was kidnaped. We don't know who did it, Adeline, I'm so sorry." He said looking in his daughter's eyes who were already filling up with tears. She choked out a sob and Steve took her in his arms, cradling her head and whispering soothing words in her ear.

Aunt May's and Peter's heart broke. May saw Adeline like the daughter she never had and Peter was one of her closest friends.

"I want to go at her house." Adeline chocked out. "I want to see her parents." She cried and Steve agreed, telling that it would be okay.