Chapter 9

(F/N) felt a tinge of pain in his stomach from Cardin's kick, laying down on his side like he was trying to hold down a bad stomach ache. And while he felt the tingling sensation in his skull, he didn't prepare himself for Cardin picking him up and dropping him off of the edge. He felt himself hoisted in the air, and when Cardin took a step forward the rush of wind going past him as he fell.

But not even the smart boy could figure out what happened next. All he could remember was his hand reaching out, as if by some kind of instinct, and slapping his hand against the bottom of the stage. He had his eyes closed as he braced for the cold floor of the stage, but he could only feel the last few seconds of the kick he got, and his arm hanging on to something.

"(F/N)!" He heard called to him, which made him open his eyes and examine his surroundings. He was underneath the stage, but when he looked at what he was holding onto, he saw that he wasn't holding onto anything that could give him good holding. It was like he was stuck to the bottom of the stage. That reminded him of his trip to the arcade with Ruby, where his hand got stuck to the glass of the push door, and refused to let go. He could hear the cheers for Cardin, but Ms. Goodwitch was strangely quiet. Not to mention, no one else was able to see him, given their angle looking down at the arena.

Needing to get back into the fight, rather than backing down, he lifted himself up and placed his fingers against the underside, tensing his fingers up like he was trying to grab a ball, or a rock in a mountain. He then thought to himself, If I can stick to the floor with my fingers, what about my... Before he could let that thought finish, he brought his legs up and pressed his toes against the floor, followed by managing to pull his fingers off of the underside of the stage. He swung down, and confirming his theory he managed to stick to the underside of the stage with nothing but his feet, even though he was wearing socks and shoes! It was as if he was standing on the ceiling! Hearing nothing from Glynda, he was still in the fight. He brought his fingers back to the underside and crawled along the bottom of it, reaching the edge.

Given that no one was calling him out, he decided to use this to his advantage. He knocked on the edge of the stage, loud enough for Cardin to hear. The cheers stopped, and everyone looked over towards the source of the sound. As he walked, he stood at the edge and looked over, trying to figure out who it was that made the sound, when (F/N) suddenly stuck his hand out, fired a line of web that connected to his face (given that they were close range), and with a firm tug (F/N) pulled Cardin off of the stage and watched him fall to the ground.

A buzzer went off on Ms. Goodwitch's tablet, alerting her to activity within the red zone, telling her that a student fell off.

"And that's the fight!" She called out, watching as (F/N) got onto the upper half of the strange and looked over. Cheers erupted from the students there, while there were a good majority of other students who just shouted "Boo" at (F/N)'s victory. The teacher reset the position of the stage, pulling the fallen platforms up from the ground and bringing it to the middle again. "Let this be a lesson," she began, stepping out to face the class, "do not let the glory of victory get you. Because you have no idea if the enemy is really down, or perhaps laying low for an opening. Never underestimate your opponent."

"Seems like a cheap win, to me!" Cardin called out. "How about you actually fight like a man!"

"I don't suppose I can convince you to fight like a spider," (F/N) replied. Cardin began to stomp over, wanting to pummel (F/N). But before he could even begin, Ms. Goodwitch waved her riding crop and put a wall between the two of them.

"The fight. Is over," she said, putting emphasis on the fight being over, giving a stern stare to the two of them. "Any more fights you want to do, you'll have to wait your turn. Back to the seats you two." Reluctantly, Cardin agreed, but not before giving (F/N) one last death stare. (F/N) felt good having been able to beat Cardin, although it wasn't very long like some of the other fights are. He looked over at his team, seeing them holding thumbs up at him. He scanned the crowd next, seeing a mixture of cheers and "boos", until eventually landing on Ruby.