Chapter V

CHAPTER V

Infinity3

Munin

ERROR//Timed out//

"Munin... Get up. We're almost there." the AI says.

"I'm already up, Raven. I was never truly asleep." Munin says, stretching, and sitting up in his seat. "I never sleep unless necessary. I'll handle landing manually." He takes hold of the throttle and right-hand control stick, carefully adjusting the aircraft. "Control tower, this is Echo 1-1, requesting permission to land."

"This is the control tower, Echo 1-1 you are cleared to land on airstrip Bravo." says the same voice from earlier.

"Understood," he says, engaging the airbrake and pulling the throttle down to zero. "By the way," he says as he guides the plane towards the airfield. "I never got your name earlier." He smiles, waiting for a response.

"Are you kidding me?!" she shouts. Munin laughs, shaking his head.

"Never mind, Miss. Echo 1-1, touching down now," he says, slowly lowering the plane's altitude. There's a slight lurch as the landing gear touches the ground. He slowly taxies the plane to an empty hangar

Munin sighs lightly and presses the button to open the metal cover over the crew compartment. He climbs out and jumps down, landing with a soft thud on the ground. He stands back up and turns around, looking at the sharp edges of the jet. He notices something and walks closer.

"Hm... Someone must have gotten a lucky shot off..." He mutters, rubbing the small dent on the titanium frame. He sighs lightly and starts to walk around the plane, running his fingers along the glowing red highlights on the dark red livery of the plane. He can still remember what Hugin had said about them.

Three years ago

1245 hours

Federation Airfield Delta 1-3://Memory_File opened//

"They'll make Raven even more intimidating!" she said excitedly. "Besides, red fits you." Munin chuckled, walking around the plane. He was impressed with what Hugin had done. She had somehow even found a way to make the cameras glow an eerie red.

"Thank you so much, Hugin..." he says, smiling lightly. Hugin smiles, walking over to her brother and handing him a bottle of water.

"It's the least I can do..." she murmured, smiling at him.

Present

//Error//Unable_to_access_Time//

//css_html://Rebooting...Α̶ ̵α̷,̴

"Munin... Someone is coming." Raven says. Munin turns and sees a young woman with light blue hair dressed in a white coat walking into the hangar.

"Hello Miss," he says politely. She nods.

"I am First Lieutenant Angelica J. Hood," she says. Munin nods lightly, trying to get as much information from her appearance alone.

"I assume that your military has a very different dress code," he says, gesturing to her outfit and then to his perfectly ironed black and red uniform. That was a mistake because it gave Raven just enough courage to use the external speakers and tease him even more.

"So... uh... This is kind of random, but where will I be staying?" he asks. Hood's eyes widen and she rubs the back of her neck.

"I'll need to ask the base commander about it," she said. "Are you okay with staying here for now?" Munin sighs but tries to stay positive.

"Sure. I'm sure that Raven would be an adequate company," he said, smiling and winking. Hood smiles back, blushing, and promptly leaves with a quiet goodbye. Munin sighs and climbs back into the cockpit of his plane and closes his eyes, trying to fall asleep.

"You know, according to my calculations and various simulations, the chances of you winning her over are 0.007%," Raven said, sounding oddly cheerful. Munin scoffs and adjusts his mask.

"My chances are infinitely better than yours," he said. He climbs back up the ladder into the semi-spacious cockpit of the plane and begins to dig around, looking for something. "So, Raven, do you think we'll be able to make some money off of this?"

"What?" Raven says, sounding puzzled. Munin sighs, rubbing his temple. Raven could be so dense sometimes.

"I said, do you think we can make money off of this?" he asked. "To ask for a fee in exchange for our... services." He fishes around in the small compartment in the cockpit and finds what he is looking for. "Ah... Here it is," he says, pulling the FFF-53J pistol from the box. "Hm... seven extra mags... So that's 133 rounds." he says.

"I don't follow. How are we supposed to make any money?" he asks.

"Simple. We become mercenaries. We charge a commission for fighting." he says. "I know the ropes, seeing I used to be a contract sniper." He inspects the pistol in his hand and slides it into his holster. Raven is silent for a moment. Then he speaks up, sounding interested.

"Though I do not share the same amount of enthusiasm, I am on board with this," Raven says. Munin nods, meticulously planning the perfect way to maximize his profits.

"This will require some acting, however," he says. Raven groans, clearly irritated.

"You know how much I hate acting," Raven says. Munin laughs, nodding.

"Think of the money. That's my tip," he says, smiling.