Chapter XXIII

CHAPTER XXIII

Infinity121

Munin

"Cry"

Worldbuilding Section

Ever heard of the Russian Sleep Experiment creepypasta? You probably have. If you haven't, it's preferable to look it up at 3AM in the morning while the world is completely silent, punctuated only by creepy sounds coming from another room.

Aaaanyway.

I'm sure you've noticed how 'Project Epoch' is excessively mentioned as the root for Munin's personality and stability issues. So here's the whole briefing.

Project Epoch, also affectionately known as 'Cry Yourself to Sleep', was a project commissioned in the early days of Icosahedron Composite, as the main training system of the elite peacekeeper teams, those designated with the designation of FP- [insert number]. In simple terms, it was an experiment not unlike the Russian Sleep Experiment, using a certain part of the human system in order to improve something. In this case, dreams. The official report from the head project manager says:

"Project Epoch was a pilot project to test the newly developed nerve repair beds, used initially to induce calm emotions and headspace, and induce the ability to control one's dreams. These models were redirected to the development of the initial Project Epoch. Experimental procedure results in a hibernation-like state for the patients. Over the course of two years, these patients would spend over 20 hours a day in this state, and experience a dream. This means that researchers, and by extension High Command and the Icosahedron Executive Board, would be able to manipulate the patient's subconscious to create dreams useful to the goals of the project. Thanks to the natural time dilation of dreams, in the course of two years, decades, if not centuries, of training could take place, all in the security of a nerve repair bed."

"In the end, the project yielded wonderful results. Patients, after completing the program, had a 500% increase of combat efficiency compared to those trained with conventional means. These patients currently make up Peacekeeping units FP-000 to FP-009. Unfortunately, the project was given a shut down order, much to the disappointment of the 'ENDS' side of the Icosahedron Executive Board, and much to the gratitude of the 'MEANS' side of the Board. The shut down was ordered by the Federation High Command Ethical Council after an internal investigation of the project.

Notable info is as follows:

95% of patients died from various causes, including mental strain, nerve repair bed failure, ███████, or other undocumentable means.

In the surviving 5%, 100% were entered into the Elite Peacekeepers.

The estimated average training time in the dream state was roughly 9 centuries, and over 9000 different scenarios were created and tailored to each individual to improve potency.

The project cost $██,███,███,███,███, which doesn't include that which was fined by the Ethics Council.

One patient, codenamed 'The Adjutant' was diagnosed with a neurological condition only ever seen once before, in their sister, codenamed 'The Empress'. The condition nicknamed the ████████ ██████, has certain side effects that often manifest in bipolarity or DID, hallucinations, or in the case of both siblings, anomalous dreams that seem to be connected to, affected by, and even predict, the real world. This condition is surgically removable, as shown on the female sibling. However, 'The Adjutant' declined the surgery for undocumented reasons.

Overall, the project yielded great rewards at a high price, both literally and in human life. It managed to fracture the leadership of both Federation High Command, and the Board of Executives even further than previously thought possible. Director Munin was absent during this period, and his whereabouts were unknown, and leadership was placed in the Assistant Director.