Chapter 12 | Ezra

Her eyes are red as if she had for a long time. So when she says with a small smile, "Oh that? Actually I had a test today so I kinda didn't sleep all night. Now I'm regretting it." I don't believe her at all

"Oh, okay. Everything's alright?", I ask her leaning towards her.

"Yeah, everything's fine. Just tired."

"So why do you appear so sad to me then?" I say And in order to lighten the mood I add with a grin, "Is it because you didn't see me yesterday?"

"What?!"

"Oh yeah I know, you must have missed me."

"What are you even saying, Ezra?", she says while smiling and shaking her head  in disbelief ."The name Dumbhead really suits you, you know?"

Seeing her smiling also made me to
smile. At least she's responding me.

"And Freckles suits you too.", I reply her while pointing my finger towards her and then I turn to face the front.

Suddenly she's too close and next thing I know that her head is on my shoulder.

"Just tried. I hope you don't mind.", she said patting my left thigh.

"No.", I barely can form words right now because I don't think that I would be breathing normally whenever she's in my close proximity.

We stayed like this for almost half an hour. Her head on my shoulder and and hand resting on the ground behind her back but not touching her.

None of us is saying anything. Yet this moment is going to be craved in my mind for a time being.

|||

There is a conference going on of one of the top surgeons in our country. Ms. Stallworthy is an expert of neurosurgery. She has a success rate of 99% which is extremely rare to achieve in field of neurosurgery.

That is the reason why today the auditorium is almost full. It is an honor for our University when she decided to give a lecture in here. We got informed about it almost a month ago.

A lot of students -medical or non-medical- are here to listen to her which also include James. A 'jock' who is sitting at my left side.

He joined me and Paul saying that 'he will support his friends no matter how boring it is' but for the past 20 minutes he is the one who has been sulking that it is super boring.

As I'm sitting in middle of them, Paul isn't irritated as much as I'm and this session is extremely important to me so I have to take this matter in my hands.

"Shut up for a second, bro. You were the one who decided to come with us. Now stop whining."

He replies, " I didn't know that it would be that lifeless."

"Well, you can leave any time.", I say and gesture towards the exit.

"No! I'm gonna stick up with my oath."

"Can you two SHUT UP, please!", Paul whisper-yell at us.

When Paul's serious, no one messes with him so after it, the whole session went smoothly and successfully. Even our University Dean also announced that some of us can have the opportunity to complete their home residency in her hospital.

It is convenient for me as her hospital is in Houston so I'm definitely going to apply there in the near future. So that I can be close to Sasha and home. I don't want to be like dad or my mother.

When the conference ended, it's already 2 p.m.

Shit. My shift starts at 12:30 p.m. Travelling the distance from University to pharmacy, I'll be 2 hours late means I have to work 2 hours more then my usual shift.