Chapter 16 | Ezra

She's a hugger. Because of her, I also like hugs and she gives the best one. In the morning, I almost couldn't breath. But her being in my close proximity is my favorite thing nowadays. So I just held her close.

Her hands on my chest. Her head under my chin. Me holding on her waist.

Even now, she's holding me tight. Her hands are on my waist firm. I occasionally settle my hand on her thigh. She stiffens under my touch but also grips me tighter.

Wow. I like it so much. Winter holding me. I can feel her heartbeat despite our jackets.

I was so lost in my euphoria that I miss the turn. Now we're going in the main neighborhood. I think Winter doesn't notice because she is silent.

Sasha is staying at Mrs. Smith, our neighbor, to play with her daughter, Lina. So I figure we could spend a little more time away from home.

I see a cafe and stop there.

"Why did you stop here?", she says but then she sees the cafe. "Oh Coffee! Let's go there." She points to the shop, gets off the bike, hands me her helmet and then walks into the cafe.

I chuckle and lock my bike to join her inside the cafe.

She is standing in front of counter looking confused.

"What did you choose?"

"Uh.. nothing?"

I chuckle and say, "Why nothing, Freckles?"

"I really want to have strawberry milkshake but the weather's not in my favor.", she turns to me "So coffee it is!".

She places her order and then mine. A chai latte and a caffe mocha. When I was about to pay, Winter beats me to it.

"Freckles! Let me do it."

"No Dumbhead, let me do it. You've already done a lot for me. This is the least I can do."

"Okay. As you wish.", I was tempted to add milady but thought it wouldn't be the best time.

I take our cups and go to sit on a table near the window.

There's strong wind and clouds outside. I think it'll rain again. Weather has a gloomy sensation in it which means that it's almost winter.

And with that, I turn to Winter. The way her eyes lit up she's definitely enjoying her coffee.

When I take a sip of my coffee she watches me. I think she wants to say something. Before I could ask her what it is, she says keeping her head down

"Won't you ask me anything?"

"What's there to ask? I told you before that it's not your fault." When I answer her, she doesn't say anything.

We remain silent for a few minutes. When I was halfway through my coffee, she finally speaks

"Actually....uh, you know my mother is not alive, right?" I give her a nod.

I don't think I'm going to like what she's going to say next.

"My father. My mom died because of him. He was abusive and used to hit her everyday and my mother couldn't leave him. It goes on for years until one day he pushed her and...and she died. In front of me." By the time she finishes, she starts to stutter.

I get up and wipe the tears from her cheeks with my hands.

"Sorry! It just happens.", she says wiping her tears.

"No. I told you, you can always cry."

"Thankyou. In fact, I was planning to leave that house.That's why I was able to pack so quickly that day."