Chapter 22 | Ezra

I come out of my room and there is no sign of Winter anywhere again. I think she's avoiding me ever since I slept accidentally slept in her room which was three days ago.

I couldn't even apologize to her because she kept running everytime she sees me.

I reach fridge to take out a bottle of water to drown my frustration. A day started by not seeing Winter is a wasted day.

Dad walks in the kitchen with a smirk on his face,

"Well, good morning son. How are you?"

"Fine, dad."

"Hmm...as you say. But why do I find you grumpy?"

Why do I feel he's up to something?

"Of course, it's college. You know it's going to be my exams soon."

He hums but doesn't response further. And there is no way I'm worried about college. Sure, it's tiring but it's a given in med school. Although, I hardly sat on that day due to non stop practicals when I got home at 8. The day when I upset Winter. I sigh which my lovely dad catches.

"Why are you sighing?"

"Nothing, dad. Just tired."

"Okay." He pauses but I have a feeling that it's not the end. I take a sip from my bottle.

"So Ezra.....", I glance towards him.     "When are you bringing me a daughter-in-law?"

I choke on my water because of his sudden question and spit out most of it. I'm here struggling to breathe and he's laughing.

"Come one, Ezra. It's not of a difficult task. You don't even have to look for one."

"Dad, what are you saying?" I whisper in case she's at home.

"Why are you whispering? Winter is not even home. She had breakfast with me and left..." he checks his watch "almost an hour ago." And says in an abnormally loud voice.

Is he reading my mind right now?

"How is that even relating?"

"Oh, that's very, very relatable." I raise my brows and he gives me a I-know-you-well look.

"Ezra! I've seen the way you look at her in the past week."

I think what he's going to say next is the truth I've been trying to avoid.

"You see like she's your breath. Like if you look away you'll die. Like she's your whole -"

"Okay, okay. I get it! Geez, from where are you getting your words?"

"You know, I always had a little poet in me."

Now let's get away with this conversation.

"Okay dad, I've to go now. Bye! See you later."

I hurry to my room because he's not going to let go of this topic.

Crap. I also don't want to let go of this topic or her.

|||

I meet James at our usual place on basketball court.

"Hey bro. What are you doing?"

"Nothing, waiting for you guys. Did practice long time ago."

"Oh Paul's not gonna be here. He got some homework."

"Okay, no worries. Just let him know we're eating his sandwich. Now, tell me about your girl."

"Oh, she's not mine." I felt the hesitation in my voice and the look James is giving me, I'm pretty sure he heard it too.