Chapter 21 | Winter

The house is quiet when we enter as Sasha and Mr. Cassain told us that they were going to the nearest playground.

Now, I kinda of don't know what to do. Sure, I was planning to go to New York to get away from this city and its bad memories but now the person who created these memories is gone. And they didn't find his body.

But he was inside the house as the neighbors had heard screams coming from inside of the house. Maybe he didn't deserve a funeral.

Ezra takes me out of train of my thoughts when he informs me,

"Hey Freckles, I'm going to University. Our practicals are starting soon so it'll be busy all week. I hope you'll be okay. But we can go together. What do you say?"

I rise my head to watch him. I thank my lucky stars that he was there with me. He's watching me with a soft expression.

"No, I'll be okay here."

"Great! Take care, Freckles.", He turns towards door but I stop him by grabbing his hand. First he glances our joined hands then sees me.

"Thanks.... for being there for me!" I give his hand a squeeze.

He gives me a soft smile, "Always."

Ezra pulls me towards him and gives me a peck on my forehead. I feel this contact to my bones and the butterflies in my stomach come alive. His scent hits me like a fresh gust of wind.

He pulls apart and looks at me. Our hands are still connected and for the first time, I don't want to let go.

He quickly gives me a kiss on my head and goes out of the house.

I'm still standing in the doorway with my heart beating fast. Does all his friends get the same treatment?

I shouldn't overthink. Maybe he's just touchy. But at the same time, I really want Ezra to be like this only with me.

What is going on? I cannot like him like that. It's okay to be friends but not more than that. I don't want to restrain him with me or my problems ever. He doesn't deserve it.

But still my heart aches because of thinking like this.

I march towards my room to get rid of my overthinking and bury myself in studies.

|||

Ezra gets home at 8pm. When me, Sasha and Mr. Cassain is making tacos.

His hair are ruffled because of helmet, his eyes seems droopy and his whole demeanor appears tired. Just how much is he studying?

"My, my son. What are they doing to you? Come sit.", Ezra takes a seat on a near stool.

He glances towards me but I quickly turn my attention to the plate which have almost-done tacos on it.

"Hi, Ezra. Are you killing people? Why are you home late nowadays?" Sasha says clearly concerned.

Ezra scoffs and Mr. Cassain laughs. While I just smirk.

"Where did you learn this, Sasha?"

"Well, my friends are always saying things like this."

"Dad, I've already told her that she needs to change her friends." Ezra says in a grim voice.

They continue their conversation while I made tacos with Sasha. After I'm done with them, I place the plate on the table without saying much. Ezra stands up and says,

"Let me help you."

"No need, Ezra. I'm okay."

"Let me." And proceeds to bring plates and glasses from the kitchen to the table.