Chapter 26 | Ezra

Three Years Later.....

Busy are those who work even after 5. Then those who also work on weekends. And in the end, there are doctors- including me- who work 18 hours a day.

Today is Christmas Eve and I'm still in the hospital. Sasha called earlier but I couldn't go home right now so I told them to have dinner without me.

I don't think that I've gotten a proper sleep ever since I started my house job last year. Not that I'm complaining about it. I've gained a lot experience and knowledge from my senior doctors. But in medical field, you're always lacking something, somewhere. Which makes it the charm of this job.

But still, pushing ourselves to exhaustion and pass out as soon as you hit your bed. That's extreme. And that's exactly I'm going to do. The question is when? Because I've in the hospital for the last 3 days consecutively.

I'm in doctors' rest area obviously trying to get some rest but there's buzzing going on as one of the major brain surgery is going to take place -I check my watch- exactly in 2 hours. Of which I'm extremely honoured to be part of it as an assistant surgeon.

I can feel my eyes closing and my brain registering into subconscious but someone woke me.

"Yo Ezra, why are you sleeping? You should be preparing. Let's just you dressed."

"Malcolm, I'm not going on a wedding. I don't need to get 'dressed'.And please let me sleep for a while.", My most energetic colleague says.

"No, no, no. You're getting up right now." And that's how my relationship with sleep ended before even it started.

"Can I punch you?"

"Nah man, I'm precious for this hospital." He says with his usual grin.

"Yeah, yeah."

I really want to kill him but I don't think so I get away with murder of my colleague. Guess I should contact a certain someone to know about it.

God. It's already been 3 years and I miss her as the same way as before. I carry her ring with me religiously. But all accessories are forbidden in operating room so it's in my locker. Because of that ring alone, I've avoided many unnecessary conversations about my dating life.

I miss her. Sasha miss her. Even dad miss her. Although I have her number and always keep it, but I never called her. As I've said that if we were meant to meet again, we will.

All of us are doing good in our lives.

Dad got promoted to senior manager in his firm and he will be starting his duties from coming year. It's a startup but it's going well. I told him to retire but he insisted on doing a job so I couldn't do anything.

Sasha will be a senior next year. Thank God, she is not friends with those girls now. But she is starting to act like a teenager which I found out is scary. One day, she told us she has a boyfriend but next day, she said they broke up as he refused to kiss her. And these days, she dating someone named Jake because he complimented her hair.

Also, I'm still friends with those two infuriating people.

Who could have guessed that James would be the one who get married first? Yep, now he's a professional NBA player and a proud husband. Apparently, he met his wife online in University. He is on his tour of Germany right now and if I have time, I'll watch his game.

And Paul? He's a fellow doctor but he works in ER which is busier than neurology department so we don't see each other often. Sometimes I go to his hospital or sometimes he comes. Although we have decided to watch the game together. Let's hope it will happen as planned.

Life is going good but still there is something's missing which I know what- or who- it is. People usually say that your first love is hard to forget. I used to think it's nothing serious but now I think it's true.

I don't know much about her life as I have a little life outside hospital but she's doing good. She sent cards on last Christmas to each of us and she told that she got her law license. I was so proud of her and still I am.

I just hope that wherever she is, she is happy and thriving. And most importantly, safe.

 And most importantly, safe