Chapter 25 | Winter

I close the door with a pounding heart and his gift in my hands.

I know he was coming home today but actually seeing him didn't help my growing feelings for him. Sure, I liked him before but now it was more than like. Which scares me.

I didn't even realize that I'm crying. Why am I crying?

Because you're leaving him. An inner thought spoke.

I quickly wipe them but they keep coming. Well, you can't stop when it keeps happening.

I put the box in my handbag. I was suppose to leave today. As in, tonight at 10. But Mr. Cassian wanted me to stay for Ezra to come back first. And I also wanted that. But now that I've seen him, I'm hesitant to leave.

He will find someone better than you.
My brain keeps reminding me of this cruel reality. But in the end, it was the truth and Truth is always bitter.

Before someone comes to get me, I bury my thoughts to go outside and enjoy my last dinner with Cassain family.

I enter the kitchen and sit on the only vacant seat, next to Ezra.

He holds my hand under the table to give it a little squeeze and says, "Freckles, What took you so long?"

I didn't reply but I don't know what to say. Instead I squeeze his hand back and smile in apology.

He frowns and lifts his other hand to caress my cheek, "Were you crying?"

How does he always know?

"What? No. Why would I be?" I try my best to give a smile.

He looks at me as if he doesn't believe me but didn't ask further. Because his friends distract us by imitating me and Ezra.

"Hey, love. Let's go live in a cottage and make babies.", James says while holding hands with Paul.

"Okay, love. You will go to work and I'll kiss you every morning." Paul replies rising his octaves to sound girlish.

Mr. Cassian laughs loudly and Sasha giggles. While I blush fiercely, Ezra throws a cake topping at James which he -of couse- catches.

"Well thanks for it, bro. I know you won't eat it as you would be busy with her."

Mr. Cassian covers Sasha eyes while Ezra just glares at him.

"Okay, now boys settle down." , Mr. Cassian says with an authority.

Everyone keep a light conversation going on during the whole dinner while I didn't said much. Because I was drowning in my thoughts.

I know I shouldn't stay now as my next year is already planned in another place. But my heart kept saying the opposite. Mr. Cassian will be staying here permanently as he got a job offer here so I won't be needed for Sasha anymore.

Beside Ezra and his friends, Sasha had also grown on me just like a little sister. But in the end, I had to leave as I was not meant to be here.

Life wasn't generous to him so I shouldn't be making it harder. There is no doubt that I like him but I like him enough to let him live a good life.

Ezra break me from my thoughts when he places his hand on my thigh and giving it gentle strokes. He is talking to his dad so he's doing it unconsciously.

I kept taking in the feel on his hands on me, his voice and his scent the whole time knowing it won't be forever.

|||

I'm in the kitchen when I feel a presence with me and how my body reacts to it, I know it's Ezra.

"Are you okay? You seemed off today?" he says with a concern in his voice.