Chapter 23 | Winter

I leave Ezra in the living room and dash for the kitchen. Instead I want to run towards front door or maybe dug up a hole to bury myself.

Why do I keep having embarrassing moments with Ezra? Maybe he's messing with me. I hope I've hit him enough to bring him back to track. Although I doubt if they had any effect on him.

I sigh and sit on a stool by table. Mr. Cassain is making lunch as he said. And here Sasha is declaring that she doesn't want to study today.

"No Sasha! You gotta study."

"But I want to play all day."

"Okay, you can do it but you've been playing for the past two days."

"But Winter-", Sasha whines and Mr. Cassain laughs.

"No buts. Let's study. You don't wanna end up like your brother." , Sasha- still in a 'playing mood' goes to her room to bring books- and her brother comes to sit beside me.

"What's wrong with her brother?"

"Nothing!"

"Oh, come on."

"Nothing, just don't want her to become an incompetent person who can't even stand properly." I lean close, suddenly feeling playful. "And falls on people to disturb their routine."

Mr. Cassain chuckles. He is turned towards the counter but I think he can hear us.

And Ezra leans closer that there's barely inches left between us. My breath catches. I'm looking directly in his eyes but his are wandering to my mouth.

Thank God his dad is not watching us.

He says low enough for me to hear, "Well, I don't know about other people but I can always fall on and for you."

Woah. Is he saying the same that my brain is interpreting?

He reaches out to side of my head and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. Hmm.... classic move for flirting.

"Mr. Ezra Rozaro Cassain, are you flirting with me?"

He smirks and opens his mouth to say something but Mr. Cassain turns towards us and he stops.

That moment was enough to bring me back to my decision to get myself away from Ezra.

I hear Sasha calling for me to study from the living room and I take it as my cue to leave.

I stand and I'm about to walk but Ezra holds my wrist to say,

"Wait! I gotta tell you something.", His dad eyes him. "Both of you, actually."

"Go ahead.", Mr. Cassain replies but I remain silent.

"The thing is that our faculty is taking some students to Dallas as under-grad students to gain real life experience for the next whole month. And I'll be joining them."

"Wow, Ezra. That's great. I'm proud of you, son.", Mr. Cassain says pointing the wooden spoon towards him.

"Well, thank you very much, dad."

My lips immediately forms a smile. He turns towards me, "Remember I told you about the project I've been working on." I nod. "It got first prize in the whole state. And because of that I'm on full-time scholarship." He gleams which makes me want to give him a big hug.

Careful, Winter. An inner voice says which puts me on alert.

"And I'm quitting my job, dad."

"Okay, no problem. You know I've never force you before doing anything and will never." He places his hand on Ezra's and gives it a gentle pat.