Chapter 6: The Yule Ball

The next couple weeks were probably some of the worst Harry had ever had at Hogwarts. It was relentless. His friends, particularly Fred and George were quick to make fun of the situation with no real malice. The Slytherins were also quick to make fun but the taunts of "fag" and "gayboy" were definitely not intended to make Harry laugh. He felt like he was constantly red with either anger or embarrassment.

Of course, Malfoy was the worst. He would be walking next to Harry and then suddenly make moves to get away from him in case it was "catching". Harry was surprised he had any teeth left he was grinding them so much to avoid snapping back.

"I wouldn't have been so annoyed at you if you had just said you were meeting someone" Hermione had tried to apologise but Harry waved her off.

"I just wish you had been able to tell me. I don't mind or anything" that was Ron's version of trying to make him feel better.

"Look I didn't know it was going to happen. It wasn't like I expected it okay?" Harry eventually broke one evening when they were still tip toeing around the issue.

"Are you going to tell us who it was then?" Ron looked delighted that Harry was finally talking about it.

"No."

"Oh come on" he wiggled his eyebrows at Harry "we won't tell anyone".

"No"

"But-" and then to his surprised Hermione cut him off.

"Look Ron I understand that you want to know who it is but Harry has made it really clear he's not ready to tell us so I think we should just drop it" Ron just looked at her open mouthed.

"Speaking of people hiding things, Hermione. Who are you going to the Ball with again?"

"Ron, you have no tact and as I've said before I'm not telling you" and with that she gathered together the books she had splayed out in front of her and left to go up to the girls dormitory.

"That reminds me Harry" Ron rolled his eyes "what are we going to do about dates?"

"You could always try shouting at Fleur again?" Harry heard the bite in his tone and almost instantly regretted it. He glanced across the common room. There was a couple of girls from their year sitting round one of the tables near the window. He sighed and got to his feet.

"Hi Parvati" he sat down in one of the empty chairs "hi Lavender".

"Ehm, hi Harry..." they both looked at each other confused.

"Parvati, have you got a date for the ball yet?" he tried emulating Tom's magnetic smile and thought with a jolt if he was even half as handsome as Tom it would work like a charm.

"No... why?" she raised her eyebrows.

"I was wondering if you'd go with me as a friend?" he waited.

"Sure, that would be nice" she smiled, and Harry felt a wash of relief until "you know you would be allowed to go with your boyfriend or whoever" he tried not to show any irritation in his facial features.

"He's, it's not, ehm" he trailed off and turned to Lavender "would you go with Ron?"

"She can't" Parvati giggled.

"I'm going with Seamus".

"Can you think of anyone who could go with him?" Harry tried not to sound too desperate.

"I'll ask my twin, Padma. I don't think she has a date yet".

"Thank you so much. I'll go tell him." He stood up then turned and smiled again "thanks". He was pleased to see Parvati smiling still. Then he felt guilty. Again. Bloody Tom, he was getting in his head. He just thanked himself for adding the caveat that they were going as friends so at least there would be no confusion there.