Chapter 15: Help me Pass the Time

The months at school always seemed to fly by but as soon as the school holidays rolled around it was like every second lasted a minute. Like time was playing a cruel joke on him.

Harry spent his time between the park near the Dursley's and riding around on the London Underground. He felt like he was daring someone, anyone magical to just come and talk to him. He didn't understand why he was back at Privet Drive when he could have been with Sirius at Grimmauld place. The only thing that made the thought of staying at Privet Drive bearable was thinking he might see Tom. So far, he was left disappointed. It had only been a week though so maybe he would turn up. He felt pathetic holding onto that hope, but it was all he had.

Harry was walking slowly back towards the house on the second Sunday of the holiday when a long arm was suddenly slug around his shoulders. He jumped and fumbled for his wand.

"Miss me?" Tom was smiling. He was so close Harry could smell him and it was if his brain had started spinning. It had been so long since he'd seen the smooth features of his perfect face and felt the intoxication that came from his smell and being so close to him.

"What are you, eh why, where did you come from?" finally deciding on a question it managed to tumble out of his mouth. He noticed Tom's eyes narrow, he was obviously wanting an answer to his question. It was taking a while, but Harry felt like he was slowly getting a better read on Tom. He liked it when Harry spoke about missing him. He supposed that made him vulnerable and Tom, just like Voldemort, liked it when people were vulnerable.

"I assumed you'd be with your godfather in London otherwise I'd have come to say hi sooner" his smile was back. It was Harry's turn to narrow his eyes.

"No, I've been dumped here again," he gestured towards the house that they were now standing in front of.

"Are you going to invite me in?" He whispered into Harry's ear, and he felt his cheeks flush.

"I don't know, I've never invited anyone in. There might be some magical protection stopping you getting in" Harry shrugged.

"Well, let's live dangerously and try it's not like we're sneaking into the ministry to try and save a fully grown adult" he winked and stepped forward to open the door. Harry didn't know what he expected but the door opening and Tom walking in really wasn't it. Harry rushed in after him. He gestured to Tom to be quiet and follow him up the stairs.

Tom surveyed the small room. The walls with no decorations. The cat flap at the bottom of the door and the excessive number of locks. He was scowling.

"I could kill them. It would be so easy" he whispered.

"Don't talk like that, Tom." Harry's voice was sharp "I mean it you're not killing anyone" the 'else' left unsaid.

"As if I would" he smiled and pulled Harry in for a kiss. He felt himself melting at Tom's touch. He briefly felt that he could live forever like this, wrapped in Tom's strong arms, safe. But he wasn't safe, was he? Harry was never safe.

Tom broke away from Harry "so, did you get in big trouble from the grown-ups?"

"It could definitely have been worse. Ron's parents were furious, but I didn't see them for long because" he trailed off.

"Because Dumbledore wanted to ask you all about me" Tom raised his eyebrows. Harry nodded. "And? What did you tell him?" his tone was different again. It definitely wasn't making him feel safe.

"Nothing really, nothing he hadn't realised already by seeing you. All he really asked was whether I had to make a choice between you and Ginny" Tom nodded.

"He would want to know if his great saviour was a murder as well. He was wondering if you were perhaps walking the line of becoming a traitor," he smiled but it wasn't the usual attractive smile Harry was used to, this smile held no happiness.