-25-

Everyone in the room are looking at each other confused. I'm just staring at the woman in front of me in shock. Can't believe what I just heard. "I'm sorry..?" my weak voice echoes around the dead silent Great Hall. "According to the new school rule, Hogwarts hires only teachers with the rigth educational degree, which you do not have." Umbridge stated. My heart sinks. All of the students that are here starts whispering and glancing at each other. I know I don't have the right degree, but... Dumbledore himself was convinced I'm right for the job even he knew about my educational background. Too stunned to speak, I start to stutter:"B-but..- But I..-", "Professor (Y/L) is employed by Albus Dumbledore, who has the power to fire his own employees as he pleases... If he deems necessary, that is." deep monotonic tone says behind me. I glance over my shoulder and see none other than the Potions Master himself standing right behind me, having his eyes dark on Umbridge. Severus...

Umbridge gets visibly upset by the way Snape just outsmarted her. "But the Ministry has responded for my request, and as the rule says: The school needs to have professors with the right educational degree, so the students gets the right education and proper guidance." she's trying so hard to hold herself back from yelling at us in front of the students. Her eyes then goes back to me and she smiles:"Miss (Y/L)..-", "Professor (Y/L) has faultlessly taught the students everything they need to know about Herbology, as I recall it." Snape keeps his usual expressionless face. Panic hits since I'm not used to anyone standing up for me like this ever before. This is getting out of hand! So, I turn to him, fear in my eyes he's going to get a sanction some sort for speaking up:"Severus..-", the big doors opens as the Headmaster enters the room. McGonagall walking right behind him. We all turn to look at them. Dumbledore!

Headmaster sees we have been caught off guard. As he's walking up to us, he keeps his eyes on Umbridge the whole time:"Thought you might run in here as soon as you knew (Y/N) has returned, Dolores...". There are now even more some whispering from the students. As they both start discussing what's right and what's wrong when it comes to me, I feel like I can't breath. Like I'm about to faint. This is too much for me. Without thinking, I take a step back, but immediately stop when my back gets in touch with Snape's torso. "Oh..-" quickly I glance back at him, but he won't even budge. Somehow, seeing him standing there makes me feel calm. Minerva comes stand beside me and holds onto my shoulder. She gives me reassuring smile which I try to respond with one back, but it feels like I have forgot how to smile. Umbridge won't give up:"But the Ministry..-", "You can not banish someone who is under an apprenticeship." Dumbledore raise his voice so everyone in the room could hear. Surprised by his words, my head snaps right at him. I am?!

Silence descended to the Great Hall. Just when I'm about to gasp out of surprise:'What?!', Minerva puts her hand over my mouth. "What? Since when?" Umbridge frowns at the Headmaster. Tiny smile comes up to Dumbledore's face and he hands her a piece of parchment:"See for yourself.". She snatches it out of his hand and starts reading it. My heart keeps pounding fast inside my chest. What does it say? Umbridge's eyes keeps shifting from side to side as she's reading the contract. Clearly she's freaking out, but doesn't wanna show it. Carefully, I come near her to take a peek what it says. It's an official contract which tells I - (Y/N) (Y/M) (Y/L), am under an articles of apprenticeship which will lead into proper educational degree, therefor I can not be fired. There are even both of our signatures. But I never..- Lifting my head to meet eyes with Dumbledore's, who already had his eyes on me. He gives a quick wink that only I could see. Albus...

Won't take long before Umbridge leaves the room, looking all calm even we all know she's fuming. Headmaster take a look at the students around the room. "Go to your dorms. Nothing to see here." his strong voice echoes all over the Great Hall. Immediately the students gets up from their seats and rush out. Dumbledore and Snape makes an eye contact. Right after the Headmaster nudges his head, Snape goes after the children to make sure they'll actually are heading to their Common Rooms and not wandering around the castle. Cold breeze goes thru me when he leaves by my side. As I'm watching him getting further away while his long cape keeps flowing smoothly behind him, I feel this warmth in my heart. Thank you, Severus. Now it's only me, Minerva and Dumbledore in the room. We stayed in to chat what has happened while people were away spending Christmas.