thirteen ཾ the serpent under the flower

THIRTEEN
THE SERPENT UNDER THE FLOWER

     THE CROWS HAS FOUND THEMSELVES settled down in an old, abandoned farmhouse on the outskirts of town and within a few hours, Verena had cleaned herself up next to a stream not far from the farmhouse

THE CROWS HAS FOUND THEMSELVES settled down in an old, abandoned farmhouse on the outskirts of town and within a few hours, Verena had cleaned herself up next to a stream not far from the farmhouse. Her blood, mixed with the blood of others, was washed from her hair and frail skin. Verena had brushed through her hair and thanks to Jesper, her hair was laced with her normal braids and the only thing that armoured her face was scrapes and bruises.

"Is this all we have left?" Inej panted out and supported herself with her palm resting on the broken hay wagon as Kaz placed the small coins and a single piece of kruge in front of her. Inej left out a shutter as her side began to pulsate with pain. "Jesper, my bag."

Jesper came back seconds later with a small pouch as Inej lifted the side of her blouse to reveal a large gash over her side. "Mother of Saints," he cursed with a shudder at the sight.

"It's not healing on its own. I need to stitch it," Inej said as she leaned down on a stack of hay and barrels.

"How long before you can travel?" Kaz pondered.

"Not long," she answered. "Where?"

"Ketterdam," Kaz answered. Verena, along with Inej and Jesper, gave Kaz a questioning glance. "Between our dwindling funds, lack of time and conflicting interests, it's time we cut out losses," Kaz grumbled as he left, but not before sparing Verena one last glance.

"I guess the Bastard misses the Barrel," Jesper joked light-heartedly. He then let out a groan of disgust as Inej pierced the needle through her skin.

"You can watch a bullet tear through a man, but a needle is too much?" Inej teased as she clenched her jaw in pain.

"Well, you see, bullets are bam, in and out. That's. . . that's just. . ." Jesper trialled off with another gag and continued to grimace as Inej continued to stitch. "Where'd you learn how to do that?"

"When I was at the Menagerie," Inej answered casually. Verena's jaw unintentionally clenched.

"Yeah, but why would you. . . oh, that's dark," Jesper shuttered.

"Which is why I can't go back."

"You won't," Verena told Inej as she finally walked from the barn. The crisp, cold air filled Verena's lungs as she stepped outside and a dim overcast hung over her.

"What are you doing?" Kaz asked Verena as she placed her vest over her shoulders and buttoned it up, forcing winces and grunts of pain back.

"Hunting," she replied simply as turned to face him. Kaz's eyes were filled with something Verena couldn't decipher, but also hints of worry. His eyes scaled down the stained white silk that hung over Verena's shoulders.

Kaz pursed his lips together and lowered his eyes as if he was thinking or deciding if he should say something. "Verena, I thought I lost you," he admitted in a whisper, almost as if he was ashamed to say it or for anyone to hear it.