sixteen ཾ no mourners

SIXTEEN
NO MOURNERS

     VERENA FELL DOWN ONTO THE wooden planks with a thud

VERENA FELL DOWN ONTO THE wooden planks with a thud. Another grunt of pain escaped her lips and Verena felt the warm, thick blood spill from her shoulder. Inej pulled her knives from her vest and began throwing them through the clouded sky as a swarm of volcra descended upon them.

"Verena, go get Kaz and Jesper. I'll hold them off," Inej ordered, adrenaline coursing through her veins. Verena sent Inej a nod before she hoisted herself over the railing and jumped down.

"Jes?" Verena whispered in a harsh voice as she maneuvered her way past the boxes of storage that fell over. "Jesper?" Verena gasped as she spotted the boy unconscious, leaning against barrels.

"You may have needed me," Verena heard Alina say. Verena turned her head to the side and saw Kirigan standing over Ailna, her hand in his. "But I never needed you," she raised a blade to Kirigan's hand and pushed the amplifier that binded her power to him off.

"Your first words to me were, 'What are you?' This is what I am," Alina seethed, holding her hands to her chest as light began to illuminate around her. A burst of light soared through the fold, creating a force field of light around the skiff.

"How do you claim such power?" Kirigan pressed, staring at his hand with shock. "I am the one who killed the stag."

"I didn't understand before, but I do now. You cannot claim what was not given to you. The stag chose me," Alina explained and folded her fingers together. Verena watched with her mouth agape as the antlers of the stag disappeared into Alina's collarbones.

"You chose to betray your people. I was trying to save us," the Darkling spat. As the Darkling raided his hands, Mal sprung up and pushed himself and the Darkling over the rails of the skiff and onto the sand below.

"Jesper, Jesper, wake up," Verena ushered, taking hold of Jesper's cheeks and shaking them.

"Oh, hello, darling," Jesper smiled.

"Jesper, I need your help," Verena rushed out, her eyes going to where Alina was staring overboard.

The Heartrender that Jesper knocked out rose up from the skiff floor. Alina grasped her chest as blood began to pour down her lips. "How dare you?" The Heartrender began. "He gave you everything. Remember your place."

"You with me?" Verean asked Jesper.

"Always, love," Jesper smirked. Verena clasped her hand in his and pulled Jesper up. As the light died, Jesper unholstered his gun and fired toward the Heartrender.

He fell to the side and let Alina go of his power. Verena spun him around and held her knife high but, the Grisha held his arm up and connected his other fist to her nose. Verena stumbled back and held her nose, collecting her blood in her palm.

Jesper twirled his gun again and attempted to shoot, but the Heartrender held his hands up and began slowing Jesper's pulse. Verena held her spare knife up and flipped it through the air and let it pierce the Heartrender's palm. He let out a cry before Verena pushed his hands away and plunged her knife into his neck.

🎉 You've finished reading 𝐀 𝐁𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐀𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐖𝐒 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐏𝐈𝐆𝐄𝐎𝐍𝐒 | kaz brekker 🎉