Chapter One

Years ago, the idea of drinking blood would have made me hurl. The human side of me felt bad for the vampires. They can't eat human food like cheeseburgers, tacos and cake. They were limited to salty, iron scented blood. The werewolf side of me screamed kill, kill, and kill some more. Now that I am on the other side of things, I can say that drinking blood is nothing like what they told us it would be. Human blood is warm, fruity and fluorescent. Animal blood is sweet and earthy. I love it and that alone disgusts me. 

Not that I have much of a choice anymore. After my mother sent me away, I took the little money that I had and made a name for myself as a vampire hunter. I wanted to rid the world of the creatures that treated humans like they were nothing more than a blood bag. There had been a bounty placed on a master vampire named Wayne Nettle. Anyone who had an ounce of common sense would have declined it. I had a hundred percent succession rate. No challenge could break me. 

I didn't realize how stupid I was until I was face to face with the bastard. I had enough long-range gear on me that would have killed any other vampire without having to get too close; but Nettle was in a totally different class. Before I could pull out my flame thrower, he had already sunk his teeth into my neck. My death was supposed to be a warning to any other wolves not to challenge him.  As my vision darkened all I could think about was the boy that I had shared so many experiences with. Not my family or the pack that I came from. I had promised Light that I would come back on my eighteenth birthday to find out if we were mates. We exchanged our class rings as a symbol of our promise. My hand clasped the ring that hung from my neck as I took my last breath. 

What I didn't expect was to wake up three days later, feeling so empty yet so alive. My wolf was gone. My olive skin had been replaced by snow white granite hard skin. My unnaturally red hair was no longer coarse; it was silky and shiny. My green eyes were a thing of the past burgundy ones had taken their place. 

Shortly after I ran into some humans while I was trying to find a place to stay. I could hear their hearts beat and see the blood pumping through their veins. I fell victim to blood lust and killed everyone. When I came to my senses, I was so disgusted with myself. I ran until I found myself thousands of miles away. I made my home in an abandoned cabin that sat about three hundred feet away from a lake. I have survived on the blood of fish and other game that may be found in the immediate area. Nothing to keep me entertained other than my imagination. No contact with the outside world. Just me, myself and I, but that was four years ago. I didn't know that things would soon be very different.