Chapter Twenty-Four -Malkai

I don't know what is happening. What did he say to her? I can't take my eyes off of the scene unfolding in front of me. Her skin is no longer porcelain white. It is deep gray with black sigils appearing sporadically across her skin. Her vibrant red hair is now inky black making the baltic horns stand out. Her dark maroon eyes are now completely black. Not a trace of white sclera to be seen. The once cloudy sky is now black. If it wasn't for my enhanced sight, I wouldn't have been able to see a thing. 

"It's not possible." Maddox said with a gasp.

"What is going on?" I ask not wanting to take my eyes off of Nora. 

"The seven demon lords were laid to rest over a million years ago. Yet here one stands." Maddox said. 

"This was never about werewolves going missing." Maddox said. 

"Please make sense." I hissed through gritted teeth

"We have watched nearly every video on that laptop. She has made multiple references to "one night  and that he is going to kill her because she knows too much." Maddox started to explain. 

"Think about it. Whatever happened that night is related to the demon lord standing in front of us." He said keeping his eyes trained forward. 

This guy Hikaru is speaking to this version of Nora so casually. Isn't he scared? Even a little bit? Or is it the lack of fear that allows him to be able to speak so freely? He had to have been there that night. They all had to have been there that night. How many survivors are there?

"Which lord is this?" I ask choosing my words carefully. 

"The Demon Lord of Wrath and Fury," Maddox said. 

"The miasma just made it too easy." The demon cackled. 

"Are you behind all of this?" Hikaru asked. 

"What are you accusing me of?" The demon asked, narrowing his eyes. 

"Tairyo gyakusatsu, satsujin, soshite anata no fune ni taisuru inbo." Hikaru said casually 

"Watch it boy." He said, raising an arm. Hikaru's feet left the ground, choking sounds escaping his throat. His hands clawing at the imaginary ones holding his oxygen hostage.

"What's going on Hikaru?" I asked inching closer. 

"Oh! It's my vessel's lover!" The demon said with glee, dropping Hikaru and appearing directly in front of me. Its face is less than an inch from mine. I would be lying if I said I wasn't terrified right now.

"That guy is mad that I decided to have a little fun. The witch stripped away her humanity. Ichika has always had a wicked side. I just used it to my advantage." he shrugged. 

"I mean I have been away from my mate for a month and it's been terrible. You've been asleep for years. You deserve to have a little fun" I said jokingly. 

"I knew I liked you!" He cackled. 

"What did he accuse you of?" I asked curiously. 

"Oh, the usual! Killing off wolves. Killing off my vessel's friends and family. Then of course attempting to kill my vessel." He shrugged. Is this an everyday thing for him?

"Well, did you?" I asked, trying to keep my voice casual and carefree. I want him to think that I am on his side

"Nah. I can't exactly do anything serious from inside this body. Plus I like her. She  is kind of amusing." He snorted, gesturing to Nora's body. 

"Have you two been together a while?" I ask

"You don't know?" He asks, cocking its head to the side. His eyes are glittering with amusement.