Chapter Nineteen- Malkai

Whitefish is a werewolf town. Two packs share the area. It's tense here. You get the same kind of feeling when you're walking around the bad side of town.  When Maddox walks through the town all the tension dissipates.  Having their king stroll this little town is nothing they would have ever imagined would happen. It forces their rivalry to the back burner.

I have watched him talk to people walking down the street. I have watched him go into stores, hospitals, and schools.  He has spent the past five hours in the police station. What is taking so long? Hopefully they will have some case files or something. I mean its a police station they have to know something. 

 I have to save my mate. The queen of the vampires. 

I am useless. I can't do anything to help. I am stuck lurking in the shadows. If I make one wrong move I will be discovered. I am the equivalent to the grim reaper in this town. No one wants to see the boogeyman or in this case a vampire. 

A couple of minutes later Maddox emerges from the police station carrying three thick files and an evidence bag. He glances up towards the trees and jerks his head indicating for me to follow. He wants to get out of werewolf territory before we talk. I follow his movements from above jumping from branch to branch, not missing a step. Once we were a mile out of  werewolf territory, I jumped down landing steadily on my feet. 

"What did you find out?" I eagerly  ask. 

"Nothing good." He said grimacing. 

"Elaborate." I urge crossing my arms across my chest. 

"It seems that everyone that gets involved with the Bleau's goes missing. First it was Shouta. Then it was Nora. Now it's Mizu." He said. 

"Fuck" I hiss. 

"It gets worse." He sighs. 

"Shouta went missing shortly after Nora's eighth birthday. He was found dead a couple of days later." He starts. 

"Any suspects?" I ask. 

"No. There were no fingerprints, no hair, no blood to tie anyone to the scene. The Sergeant that I spoke to said there was a witness but they were a minor. He also said he wasn't employed there at the time." Maddox said clearly frustrated. 

"Of course he wasn't." I hiss

Mizu disappeared recently. Her mother reported her missing fifteen days ago. When they checked her home  there were no signs of forced entry. None of her stuff was missing. Her car, phone, laptop, clothing and hygienic items were still at her home." He continues. 

"Nora, however, is a different story."  He says growling. 

"What do you mean?" I ask, raising an eyebrow. 

"Nora went to school after being assaulted by her father. Light said he submitted a report to the council. They investigated and then they disappeared. She went missing three days after their ruling. However, the cameras in the school caught her sneaking in the window. She was carrying a black box and placed it in a locker. The time stamp was exactly four hours before her mother reported her missing." He explains.  

"Nora told me her father sold her off to another alpha. So, her mother gave her some money and told her to run." I said. 

"The box contained a laptop with a note taped on the top that said "If you find this, something bad has happened to me. This has everything that you need to put them all away." He said, thrusting the laptop in my direction. 

"What was on the laptop?" I asked. 

"They couldn't break into it. It is a Japanese model laptop. So, they would need someone who is fluent in the language but the computer has a failsafe." He explains looking at the laptop with contempt.

"A fail safe?" I ask. 

"So, the laptop has a spot for some type of external device.  Which they assumed is for a flash drive that contains the encryption key. If you don't have the key then  you have to know the password. If you fail to put in the correct password three times it wipes the whole computer." He says through gritted teeth. 

"How could this get any worse?" I ask. 

"There is something that you need to look at." He said, passing me one of the thick files.

The first thing I see is a picture of Nora. She had gorgeous olive skin that was masked by variations of bruising.  bright curly red hair. Her pretty jade eyes are red and bloodshot. I do my best to ignore the feelings that photo gives me. I read over the statements and rulings made by the werewolf council. Then I see a series of blacked out documents.

"What are these?" I asked, showing him the page I was looking at.

"These are supposed to be the adoption records for Nora." He said. 

"Why would they be blacked out?" I asked. 

"None of them were born here." He said. 

 "Still why would they be blacked out?" I asked again. 

"Do you want to know what the police told me or do you want to know what I think"? He asked. 

"Both." I said, cocking my head to the side. 

"The police think the files are redacted because it was a closed adoption. They can only see what is available here in the states. They can't contact Japan and demand information." He said.

"What do you think?" I ask.

"I think the Bleau's and the Yates bought them because these records are clearly fake." He said as he pointed to some discrepancies.  

"That's a lot. How have they managed to hide this long? " I ask, clearly shocked. 

"Edgar Bleau is the only suspect listed for these cases. So, I doubt he will give us the information that we want. So instead of pushing him." He starts. 

"Her mother." I offer. 

"It seems like they have been having some issues for quite a while. So, I think she might be interested in a change of scenery." He said grinning, waving a file.  

"You're going to arrest her." I said. 

"Yes, and while we are on our way back to Alaska. She is going to tell us exactly who Shouta Kobayashi, Ichika Kobayashi and Mizuhara Yanagi really are." He said. 

Before I could even ask. He pulls the laptop out of the evidence bag, opens it and points to a really small sticky note. I feel my eyes go wide. 

"Nora knew all along." I said. 

"Yes, well I wouldn't exactly say that. She was probably onto something but that was before everything happened." He said, glancing between us. 

"People can lose parts of their memory." I sigh realizing what could have happened. 

"Don't give up hope yet. We will save Nora." He said confidently 

"Let's go pay Lilliana Bleau a visit."  I say through my teeth.