Chapter Six

There is always something so comforting about sleeping under water. Maybe it's the food source. Maybe it's because it's the last place anyone would ever expect a vampire to sleep. Maybe it's because I can't drown. The only deaths that I will ever see in this life is by sun, stake or a silver bullet to the head. Maybe the water represents the death that I should have had. 

I push myself towards the surface only allowing my eyes above the water. The thing that I can't get used to is even during the day Alaska is still dark. It's nothing like the sun patterns on the east coast. The main problem here is that I am so close to werewolf territory; I must take precautions to ensure that I don't expose myself. At least not this early in the game. I let my eyes wander across the beach. Not a soul in sight. Maybe it's too early or maybe it's too cold. 

I emerge from the water and head for the equipment that I buried. The first piece that I put on is the mask. Just in case the wolves do come looking for me; my main giveaway will be protected. I do my best to shake the sand out of my thermals before putting them on. I can still feel the granules of sand, but it will have to be okay for now. I put on my jump suit then my boots. 

Light's necklace was carefully tied around a stake before it was buried. It almost feels wrong to put it on. He isn't my mate. I should leave that part of my life behind. I shouldn't hold out and hope for things that I know will never happen. What am I saying? I am relieved that he isn't my mate. Well, I at least need to keep telling myself that. Damn this seventeen-year-old mentality. I carefully tie it around my neck and then commence with putting on my gear. 

I feel it again. A set of eyes are on me. This time I am ready. My eyesight is pristine, and I could smell anything fishy from a mile away other than the ocean if I didn't have to wear this mask. Whoever they are, they aren't close but that doesn't mean much for a vampire.  They could be five miles away and then on you in an instant. 

I've met a few good vampires in my line of work. They only drank from willing donors or purchased blood from the blood bank. They kept to themselves and just wanted to be left alone. They hired me to eliminate some rogue wolves that had been causing them issues. Then help negotiate a peace treaty with the werewolf pack that was nearby. It was a rather pleasant experience with a nice paycheck. 

The vampires that I have recently ran into have an agenda and a scary one at that. I just can't figure out what they are after. Once I get to talk to Light again, he can fill me in on the people that have gone missing and why he thinks they were targeted. I do know that a master vampire must be behind this. No one can control this many vampires at one time if they didn't sire them. All I can hope for is that this is Nettles' doing. So, I can get my revenge. No one wants that fucker dead more than I do. 

Someone is coming and coming in fast. I pull out my gun out of its holster and rack the slide. If it was from the south side of the beach, I would know it was the wolves. This however is coming from the west. I face the west side of the beach and point my gun. Whoever it is won't know what hit them. 

My opponent stops roughly a hundred feet away from me. My gun stood at attention; my finger itched to pull the trigger but something deep in my gut told me he wouldn't hurt me. I slowly lowered my gun. This man is beautiful. Standing roughly at six foot three inches, with a muscular body that I can see even through his clothing, a sharp jawline, intense maroon eyes, just to be topped off with his strawberry blonde hair styled in a Cesar cut. 

"Are you done staring?" He asks, arching an eyebrow. A shiver runs up my spine. His voice is so husky and deep. Any normal girl would be kissing his feet but not me. 

"What do you want?" I ask, slipping my gun back into its holster. 

"Why didn't you shoot me?" He asks, cocking his head to the side. 

"Did you want me to shoot you?" I shot back. 

"Not, really but I do know how ruthless you can be. You're one of those who shoot first and ask questions later." He says chuckling. 

"Once again, what do you want?" I ask, crossing my arms across my chest. 

"I've been following you for a while now. Well since you rescued the princess." He says. 

"That's impossible. I would have noticed you." I hissed.

"I stayed far enough away." He says putting his hands behind his head almost as a surrender. 

" So, I am going to ask again, what do you want?" I say, raising my voice.

"I want the same thing you want. I want to stop the large-scale vampire attacks. They are making the rest of us look bad." He says with conviction. 

"Why do you care what happens to some wolves?" I ask arching an eyebrow that he can't see.

"I could ask you the same question. Why would a vampire help a pack of wolves?" He asks taunting.

"That is none of your business." I say through gritted teeth. 

"Will you take off your mask?" He asks. 

"Why? If you have been following me around, you have already seen my face." I ask.

"I just want to see something." He says. Everything in me is telling me not to do it. It could be a trap. He could be setting me up to expose me. I listen and everything around us is quiet. There isn't anyone here but us. I carefully pull the mask off. When his scent hits my nose, my knees threaten to buckle. Vanilla, tobacco and coffee. It reminds me of when I was younger. Drinking lattes and smoking cigarettes behind the gym after a bad day or before a big test. I always felt more relaxed when the scent of tobacco clinging to my clothing and the taste of coffee lingering on my tongue. 

You feel it too huh?" He asks. His previous amusement is now gone and has been replaced with a soft expression. 

"So, you followed me from the east coast because of this?" I ask, gesturing between us. 

"Yeah, I did. My life hasn't been easy. when I saw you, I knew that if I didn't follow you, I would lose my one true chance at happiness."  Suddenly I am feeling self-conscious. This man is looking at me like I am the prettiest girl in the whole world. Only Light has ever made me feel that way. Hell, I haven't been attracted to anyone but Light. This guy however is on a totally different level. He makes Light look like a fat old man with a meth mouth. I'm sure if I were still somewhat human, I would be as red as a beet. 

"I understand that all too well." I say offering him a small smile. I hear footsteps coming in from the south. The wolves have come looking for me. I slip my mask back on and make sure it's secured tightly around my head. 

"Duty calls." He says as his smile fades. 

"Yeah, it does but I sleep here. Come find me tomorrow evening?" I ask.

"Sure." He says racing forward pulling me into a tight hug, which sadly ended too soon. 

"I'll see you tomorrow mate." He whispers. Just as he was about to head off, I stopped him. 

"Nora." I say. 

"What?" He asks, amusement flashes through his eyes. 

"My name is Nora." I say.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Nora." He smiles and takes off in the same direction that he came from. 

I can't help but smile like an idiot. Maybe I do have some chance at happiness. Maybe the world doesn't hate me as much as I think it does. The quicker I get this handled, the quicker I can retire and settle down. I'll get the life that I always wanted. Warriors from the pack slowly started emerging from the woods. Their eyes sweep the beach, ensuring that we are alone. 

"The alpha wants to speak with you." One of them shouts. I nod and follow them. Ready to face my next big challenge.