Chapter Twenty-Seven

I understand what just transpired. Malkai and I fucked. I enjoyed it. Well I think I did. Right now I don't feel much of anything. Is this a side effect of the demon's powers? Is it the lack of humanity? I don't know and I honestly don't care. 

The warm water cascading over me should make me feel better but it doesn't. It feels like a waste of time. A wasted effort on my part. What is the point? I don't have to do anything that humans require. So why am I wasting the energy trying? Is it just repetition? I sigh and cut the water off. I throw the curtain open. Malkai is sitting on the toilet seat with a towel and a fresh set of clothes. I mindlessly take the towel and dry off. Then put on the clean clothes. 

"Nora what happened?" Malkai asked softly.  He looks like shit. His hair is perfect like always but his eyes are dark. He said he hasn't fed in a while. Even through the darkness I could see the worry and fear that he was experiencing. I know that the vampire god paired us together. I know he is it for me. I will never be able to look and feel for another person like I do for him. He has no reason to be as worried as he is. 

"It's been over a month." Malkai said, letting his head drop. 

"I have been looking for you for over a month. When I finally had you in my grasp you just vanished again." Malkai said, swallowing hard. 

"A month." I said to myself.

"Please tell me what happened?" Malkai pleaded. 

"It was a trap. All of it was a trap." I said. Inwardly cringing at how dead my voice sounded. 

"We were all put under some type of trance. When it was lifted everything but your gun had disappeared." He said. 

"Revenge is mine," Malkai said after a few beats of silence. 

"You found my laptop." I said running the towel through my hair. 

"Yes." He admitted. 

"So, you know everything." I continued. 

"Yes." He said. 

"Okay." I said tossing the towel on the floor and exited the bathroom. So I could look for my boots and weapons. 

"Okay? Is that all you have to say?" Malkai asked, stepping in front of my path. 

"What do you want me to say?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. 

"Anything. Did you miss me? What did they make you do? Did you learn anything that could help us? Did you wonder what we were doing? Are you mad that we invaded your privacy to get a clue at where you might have gone? What kind of blood did you drink?" Malkai said rapid firing questions. Trying to comprehend and think of answers made my head hurt. 

"Uh." I said, pinching the bridge of my nose. 

"They had humans in barracks locked behind heavy metal doors." I offer. 

"So, you've only been consuming human blood?" Malkai asked. 

"Yeah." I agree. 

"They were all being trained by me." I continued. 

"That's why they grabbed you. " He said, nodding his head in understanding.

"As for the laptop, I don't care." I admit. 

"No?" He asked. 

"No, it's all irrelevant now. I'm not that person anymore." I said.  

"It is kind of relevant." He said sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck. I don't say anything but I do narrow my eyes. 

"Your mother is here, and some guy named Haikru showed up claiming to be a childhood friend." Malkai quickly said. 

"Okay, what do you want me to do about it?" I asked. 

"Do you want to see them?" He asked. 

"Malkai, this all seems like wasted effort." I said waving my hands around. 

"What does?" He asked. 

"My mother, Hikaru, trying to figure out who is going to strike next. I mean hell I just want to go into hibernation at this point." I admit flopping down on the couch. 

"You're struggling with your humanity." Malkai said he just solved the longest math problem in existence. 

"I guess." I agreed, shrugging. 

"What did the demon show you?" He asked, pulling me onto his lap. 

"Everything and nothing at all." I slowly said. 

"You're being very cryptic." He said, lacing his fingers through mine. I just shrugged, finding myself leaning into his chest. 

"Let's see if Maddox can find us both some blood." He said standing up pulling me with him. 

When he opened the front door, my senses went into overload. Everyone looked like they were glowing. Everyone smelled amazing. My throat dried. My mouth felt like cotton. 

"Blood." Is the only word that I managed to get out before everything blurred. My vision tinted red and then it was over.