24. Attila's threat

🫧

🫧

MONDAY
October 22, 2040
10:02 PM

"Illyana, I hope we can go out together again sometime!" Mia called, waving her goodbyes as Attila's car pulled out of her driveway, "But just us so those two can't steal all the attention!"

Illy waved back with a polite smile that didn't quite reach her eyes and when the house was finally out of sight, she blew out a sigh, letting her head drop against the seat's headrest.

"Are you sleepy, Baby?" Dominik asked and he reached over to place a warm hand on her own that she instantly snatched away.

They were seated in the back while Attila was driving up front, heading to the penthouse where she would soon have to spend her nights.

His lair.

"I want to go home."

"Illy-" Dominik started.

"Don't 'Illy' me! I'm seriously over this bullsh-" She cut herself when she caught Attila's reflection in the rear-view mirror, "I just want to go home," She gritted between clenched teeth, "I didn't leave any food out for Charli and I probably even left the window open in my study."

Though Attila was wearing his glasses, Illy thought his expression seemed colder than usual as he shifted into the driving lane.

"Perhaps we can make a quick stop?" Dominik proposed.

"I didn't even get to pack a toothbrush," Illy spoke up again, "It's not very far from here, you can just-"

"Actually, I took care of that," Dominik said, "I had Aidan do some shopping this morning so you will have everything you need in your space. Still, I'm sure we have time to make a quick stop. Don't we, brother?"

Attila grunted a reply she couldn't make out, but she was happy when she noticed he was detouring from the highway and taking the route back to her apartment.

"I know it must have been difficult for you, but you did well tonight," Dominik said, waking up butterflies inside her.

She huffed, turning her face to the window and pressing her lips into a fine line.

As if praising her would get him off the hook.

The drive to her apartment was filled with an uncomfortable silence and as they pulled up in her driveway, Illy grew more and more restless.