41| Baby, are you drunk?

"I'll be waiting here in the parking area

"I'll be waiting here in the parking area. If you need anything, just give me a call." Papa parked the car. His voice had a steady, no-nonsense tone, like the kind of warning you get from someone who's seen too much and is ready for anything.

Arushi and I nodded in acknowledgment and headed towards the hospital entrance at a deliberate, unhurried pace—our way of giving Papa time to drive off. But he stayed put, watching us closely. Once we were inside the hospital, Arushi took my hand and led me to a quieter corner.

"What's the plan now, Aru? We can't leave with Papa still around," I said, my anxiety clear in my voice.

"Don't worry. I've got everything sorted. Just give it a few minutes," Arushi reassured me.

"But what if Papa calls Adi bhai or someone from your family, or even comes inside to check if everything is alright?"

"For God's sake, Nitya, stop overthinking. Besides, I've already texted Adi about the entire situation. He was upset with me for using his beloved wife as an excuse, but he eventually understood."

"Does that mean he knows about me and Adwait? What would he think of me now?"

"As if he didn't have a love marriage himself. Come on, Nitya. Relax and simply wait."

I followed her lead. My eyes would dart to the clock over and over, anxious. Inside my head, I sent out silent prayers for Adwait to hang on just a bit longer.

My focus then turned to Arushi, who signaled a man in a driver's uniform to come over. He handed her a bag and then left without a word. Before I could ask about the bag's contents, Arushi grabbed my hand and led us toward the restroom.

"Here, take this. Change quickly."

I peered into the bag and discovered a party dress within. Confusion laced my expression, "Why?"

She let out a frustrated groan. "Nitya, Adwait is at a club. You can't show up there in traditional attire. There's a dress code you need to adhere to. Now, change quickly."

"Arushi, couldn't I just confess to him over the phone? I'm so nervous," I pleaded. I was terrified of his reaction—what if he laughed at my delayed feelings or told me he no longer loved me? The thought of facing that made me feel even more anxious.

"No way. He deserves a confession in person. Besides, you're going to say it countless times in the future. It's high time you start eliminating your nervousness from this very moment," Arushi advised.

I followed her instructions and quickly changed into the outfit. It felt really uncomfortable, but I knew I had to endure it for just a little while. I took one last look at my reflection in the mirror before stepping out of the restroom.

Arushi led me to a quiet corner at the back of the hospital, aiming to exit from there. As we navigated through the crowd, the curious stares made my cheeks flush with self-consciousness. It wasn't every day you saw someone in a party dress in a hospital setting.