Phone calls

Henry POV

Today has been a great day and I've loved meeting all the children and there families. Kal has loved every moment and all the attention. As I step outside I say my goodbyes and head towards my car, I see Layla sitting on the bench and she is on the phone. She looks distressed, I walk over and she hangs up before wiping away her tears.
"Hey you okay?"
She jumps slightly and shakes her head "I'm fine"
"No offence but you don't look fine"
She chuckles "well I guess I'm not really"
"May I?" I point to the bench and she nods, Kal instantly sitting down in front of her and licking her hand.

She smiles and starts to stroke him, he looks so relaxed and I love it.
"He really likes you"
"He's a great dog"
"He is. Very good at sensing when someone needs affection"
She nods "yeah"
"What's going on?"
"I owe money to the hospital, I put Gracie in for private treatments and now I'm in debt to them. They won't give her anything else until I pay, so I was trying to contact her father to get him to give me some of the money he owes me but he told me no. So now I don't really know what to do"

"Can't the hospital offer you a payment plan?"
She shakes her head "no. I had a certain amount of time to pay it and considering I don't have a job I can't"
"I'm sorry Layla"
"Thanks, I'm sorry you don't want to hear about my troubles and I better get back to Gracie. Thank you again for coming to visit she hasn't shut up about it since"
I laugh "your welcome. I really enjoyed it and sometimes it's good to vent to a stranger"
"You put a lot of smiles on a lot of people's faces today. They needed that"
I can't help but smile "it's the least I can do"
She holds her hand out for me to shake which I do "it was nice meeting you Henry"
"You too"

She walks back to the hospital and I can't help but stare at her as she does. She really is a beautiful woman and an incredible role model. I call Sarah and request a meeting for the next day, maybe Layla and Gracie aren't the only ones who are struggling with private treatment fees and maybe just maybe I can do something to help.

Layla POV

The next morning

Last night was the first night in a long time Gracie slept well. She seemed at peace and it was nice to get some proper sleep myself. I see Sarah waving me over to the door and I take a deep breath and prepare myself for what's to come.
"Sarah I know I owe money but please..".
Before I can finish she interrupts me
"It's okay Layla"
"What?"
"It's been dealt with"
"Dealt with? Did Daniel.."
"No he didn't but Henry....."
"Henry? As in Cavill?"

"Yeah. He came to see me this morning and well he paid..."
"He paid for Gracie's treatments? Why? I didn't ask him to do that"
"No he..."
"What thought I was his personal charity case?"
"No of course not....Layla he..."
"No I'm not having this. This is so ridiculous. Is he still here?"
"Layla...."
I storm towards Sarah's office and I see him just leaving. I walk right up to him and he smiles.
"Hi Lay...."
"What the hell do you think your doing?"
"Sorry?"
"Gracie? Me? We aren't your personal charity and we certainly will not help you get more followers or whatever.....so thanks but you can keep your money"

"Woah! Hey wait..."
"No. What I told you yesterday was in good faith and now you've used that to better your career. To come across as the good guy. You won't use my niece like that so just forget it"
I storm off leaving him shocked behind me, I make my way into the kitchen area where the parents can come to make drinks and take a breather. As I make my coffee I hear one of the kids mums talking.
"I can't believe he did it. Paying off everyone's debt like that. He is such a great guy"
I walk over "who paid what?"
"Mr Cavill he paid off all hospital bills for everyone here. Wanted it anonymously but Sarah wouldn't hear it"
"He paid off......everyone's?"

They nod and I instantly feel bad "shit!" I run back out to the office but I don't see him. I do see Sarah and she shakes her head "you really need to listen before storming off"
"Yes yes I know. Where is he?"
"Just heading to the car"
I run outside and catch him before he climbs in "Henry!"
He turns and sighs "hear to shout at me some more?"
"No. I'm sorry....I didn't know. I just thought..."
"That I was like all the other douche bags you seem to have met"
I groan "I'm really sorry Henry, I'm just protective of Gracie and our family"
He nods "I get it and it's okay. Really"

I smile "thank you for what you did. You've helped so many people"
He smiles "I'm happy to do what I can. I wish I could do more"
I nod "well thank you and trust me what you've done is more then you can possibly imagine and I'm really sorry again"
"No worries really. Bye Layla"
"Bye Henry"
Before I can stop myself I lean forward and kiss his cheek smiling and walking back towards the hospital. Something happened in that moment and I think I liked it.