Saying goodbye

Layla POV

I can't say goodbye, I've never been good with them yet here I stand watching as the vicar lowers my niece coffin into the same hole my sister was buried in. Grace died 2 days after Daniel showed up, he stayed till the end and then disappeared again. I planned graces funeral and she told me specifically what she wanted, so I did my best to stay true to her wishes. She didn't want anyone to wear black, she wanted everyone in her favourite colour. Purple and she didn't want people to bring flowers she wanted them to donate a Teddy in her honour to the great ormand street hospital. She was always thinking of others.

I feel a hand on my arm and as I look I see Sarah looking at me.
"He's here you know"
"Who?"
"Henry" I feel my heart skip a beat, he came. I haven't really spoken to him much, kept him at a distance. I've never coped well with loss and my way of dealing with it is to just stay away from everyone.
"Okay"
"Layla you should talk to him"
I shake my head "no. Today is about grace"
"Okay. Well here"
She hands me an envelope with my name on it "what's this?"

"Open it and find out"
She walks away and I tear open the envelope,

'Hi Auntie Layla,

I asked Sarah to help me with this letter and to give it to you at my funeral because I know right now your feeling lost and upset and more then anything angry that you couldn't save me. So I wanted to tell you, you did everything you could for me, you took me on after mummy died and you didn't once complain. When I got sick you were there every step of the way. I was unbelievably lucky to not only get one amazing mummy but I got two.

I wanted to say thank you for everything, thank you for loving me and standing by my side. Please don't blame yourself for anything, you did all you could but life had a different plan for me.
I know by now you've probably pushed everyone away just like you did when mummy died, so that means you pushed Henry away too.
Aunt Layla you don't have to do this alone, you can lean on others for support. You can ask for help and you can love Henry and have him by your side.

I know he makes you happy, happier then I've seen you in so long. He wants to help you and to love you so please let him. Stop being so stubborn and realise you have so many people who love you.

I love you aunt Layla and I will always be with you. I will miss you but I know I will see you again. For now I'm reunited with my mummy and we will wait for you.
Goodbye
Love always
Grace xxxxxxx

The tears were flowing freely down my cheeks. She knew me better then anyone ever had in my life. She was my partner in crime and I'm going to miss her so much. I see Sarah walking back over to me with a bag.
"You read it?"
I nod and wipe away my tears "she had me help her write it a couple of weeks before she died. She wants you to be happy Layla. Here"
"What's this?"
"I spoke with Henry, he asked me to give this to you as he didn't want to upset you. It's something he and grace were working on for you"
I smile "thank you Sarah, for everything"

She smiles and rubs my arm before walking away, I look around to see if I can see Henry but he doesn't seem to be there. As I open the bag, I see a teddy bear. It is made from some of graces pyjamas and it has her name in the middle. It has a try me button. So I squeeze and I hear graces voice "I love you aunt Layla" I feel more tears fall. Grace is right I need to stop pushing people away, especially Henry.