Ch. 3~ Trying Again

It was noon, and here Luz was, standing outside the daunting building where she was about to do a callback for the most important moment of her life. She was beyond scared, to say the least.

"I'll be back in a jiff, Mija," her mother said, her hand wrapped around the rolled-down window.  Luz anxiously turned around and looked her mother in the eyes. Camila's heart ached as she saw the terror in her daughter's eyes. "You can do this, Luz; they saw something in you. I'm sure you'll get the role of that Little Witch Girl." She rested her hand under her daughter's chin.

Luz jumped forward and hugged her mom. Camila followed, enveloping her daughter with the tightest hug she'd ever given. Luz felt her body constrict against her. "Mama, you're killing me," Luz whined. "I just love you so much. Look at my baby girl." Camila released Luz from her murderous grasp.

Luz sighed, but after listening to her mother, she found the confidence in herself to do this. Luz turned to face the window when she saw someone who had made her malfunction. Camila swore she saw smoke coming from her child's head. "Luz, Luz, what is it?"

Luz instantly recognized the woman, she grew up watching when her she was just six years old. Luz loved watching her on "It Takes Two," a show about two twin sisters growing up and venturing into the world together. Luz knew her other works and was a major fan of hers; she couldn't believe the Edalyn Clawthorn was right inside that building.

Luz didn't understand it. Why was she here? Was she auditioning? Was she a part of the production team? Was she in the wrong building? Luz tired herself out with the restless onslaught of thoughts. "Mom, don't look, but inside the building is Edalyn Clawthorn!"

"Where? Don't look, where? Who?" Camilla head snapped, looking around and searching for the person as if she hadn't heard her daughter's request. Eda stood up from her chair and turned her head, briefly making eye contact with Luz before walking into another room.

"Oh my god, she saw me." Luz felt like curling up and dying. She was certain one of her biggest idols just saw her and her mom was looking like madmen. Luz turned to look at herself through the car mirror, calming herself down. She decided to wear her usual loose hair instead of putting it up in a short ponytail, a purple cropped hoodie, high-rise blue jeans, and a pair of maroon Vans.

After taking a deep breath, Luz marched inside only to be greeted by a lady who, in Luz's opinion, looked extremely formal and had brown hair that was tightly bunned. It was unclear to Luz whether the woman was going to step onto the red carpet or step on top of her. Luz felt the urge to bow down to her.

"And who might you be?" The woman said in a posh British voice. Luz held back her laughter when she heard the woman's voice. Luz saw the woman staring intently at her before she realized that the question was aimed at her. Luz suddenly realized how terrifying this woman was.

"Me? Oh, I'm Luz—" Her voice was cut off by a girl wearing a mask, a pair of glasses, and a bright pink hoodie over her. "I leave for thirty minutes, and you have to start causing a ruckus," the girl said, stepping out of the audition room.

Although Luz couldn't see the girl, she had the most beautiful voice she had ever heard. Her speech was flawless as it left her mouth and reached Luz's ears. Luz gave the girl her full attention. She had her long brown hair tucked beneath her hoodie, as Luz could see. At the top, a few of the tangled pieces slipped out. The glasses slipped a bit, and Luz could see her gorgeous brown eyes when the light hit them; they had a goldish hue to them.

Luz was suddenly nervous in a different way. Luz gulped. "Ugh, you're always overreacting; I was just helping this girl find her proper destination." The woman refused.