Ch. 11 ~ The Time I Met the Owl Beast

The tension in the desolate halls heightened as King, fleeing from the menacing beast, darted through the echoing corridors. The creature's claws scraped irritatingly against the walls, desperately reaching for its elusive prey. In the midst of the chaotic chase, Luz searched with urgency, her eyes darting around for any sign of her friend.

As King rounded another corner, the claws of the pursuing creature slashed through the air where his head had been moments earlier. The beast, less nimble, collided with the walls in a futile attempt to catch its prey. King's panicked yelps mixed with the creature's snarls, resonating through the set.

Seizing an opportunity, Luz extended her arm as King neared another corner. In a swift motion, she pulled him into a room, the door closing with a distinctive squeak. Inside Eda's room, Luz cradled King with worry and fear.

"King?" Luz exclaimed, fear reflecting in her eyes as she looked at her friend.

King, still caught up in the adrenaline of their escape, questioned, "Where did you go?"

"I was checking on Eda, and she was gone, and then you were gone. I also tripped and lost my shoe. Oh, hey, you found it," Luz said, retrieving her misplaced shoe.

Amid the chaos, King made a discovery. He held a piece of paper, and as he read it, realization dawned on him. "Keeps the curse at bay," he read aloud, connecting the information with the tag in his collar. "An elixir a day keeps the curse at bay."

Luz, bewildered, sought answers. "Curse? Wait, what are you trying to say?"

King hesitated before dropping a revelation. "I was wrong the whole time. That's no Snaggleback. That creature is..."

Their conversation was abruptly interrupted by a sudden disturbance. A clawed hand burst through the door, followed by the menacing growls of the pursuing beast. Both Luz and King, immersed in their roles, screamed in terror as the door swung open, revealing the source of the disturbance.

To their astonishment, the creature turned, and Eda's familiar face emerged from the motion capture suit. Luz, breaking character again, burst into laughter, her eyes meeting a cutout above Eda's head attached to her suit. The monster was supposed to be taller than Eda.

"Eda?" Luz exclaimed, her laughter contagious as the filming set erupted into a cheerful atmosphere. Eda, also breaking character, joined in the laughter.

Dana, the director, called out from behind the scenes, "Cut!" The sudden interruption signaled the end of the scene, and the crew members began fixing the set again. Luz and Eda, still chuckling, exchanged glances, unable to control their laughter.

Dana's initial smile faded as she approached Luz, her expression turning more serious. "Luz, we need to get through this scene. We're on the thirtieth take, and we've got to wrap it up."

Luz, realizing the gravity of the situation, stifled her laughter and nodded apologetically. "Sorry, Dana. I'll focus, I promise."

Eda, now out of her motion capture suit, grinned at Luz. "Come on, kid. We've got this. We can't keep cracking up."

Luz nodded, determined to maintain her focus. As the cast and crew prepared for another take, the laughter that had echoed through was replaced by a sense of concentration. The cameras rolled, the beast roared, and the chase scene resumed.

This time, Luz kept her gaze fixed on the cutout above Eda's head. The tension in the scene returned, and the actors played their parts with precision. The claws swiped, King yelped, and the chase unfolded according to the script.

When the scene concluded, Dana called for a playback. The crew gathered around the monitors to review the take. Despite the challenges, the thirtieth take captured the intensity and drama needed for the TV show.